The XC thread

90 watchers
Feb 2020
10:27am, 10 Feb 2020
977 posts
  •  
Roberto
In the NEHL, a poll/vote of females was run a couple of years ago because some were making the arguement for equal distances (I think equal at the mens distance rather than the womens distance). They voted to continue doing the shorter distance. What they have seen is increased numbers every year with a shorter distance, whereas I think nationally, apart from a couple of anomalies, when the distance has been equalised to the longer distance, it's generally seen a decrease in female participants.

It came up again as a topic this year on the facebook group, but like the organisers said, it was only agreed on within the last couple of years and was put out to the competitors to make a decision. That needs respected.
Feb 2020
10:34am, 10 Feb 2020
10,297 posts
  •  
larkim
It does seem to come down into the "not broken, don't fix it" category. Most women do seem content with the distances they are racing, as are most men. And I agree that generally if it's been consulted on recently it shouldn't be reopened for debate every year.

I just can't get past the fact that, whilst a marathon might take a woman 10-12% longer to do than a man of equal relative ability, the race is over that fixed distance so equality is ensured. I could potentially see that athletics should be run on the basis of equal times for particpation, in which case we'd have the 100m vs 90m, the 400m vs 360m, the 10000m vs 9000m etc, and there is some logic to that in terms of making some equivalence in the time period during which a consistent level of effort is expected.

But athletics has long adopted consistency of distance as being key, and whilst I can buy the participation volume argument, the sport should have some higher ideals than just maintaining numbers - equality should be modelled. And WA / IAAF have done just this in shortening the men's distance and increasing the women's to a standard 10k for XC champs now. That really (in my view) should be something which is cascaded down to grass roots XC too, nothwithstanding the objections.
Feb 2020
11:12am, 10 Feb 2020
1,671 posts
  •  
Will_Uyuni
Modelling equality at champs fine, decimating participation at local leagues not fine, especially where a clear view amongst those that any change effects has been expressed.

As an example our East Mids League which is a really fun league on “interesting” courses had 135 male finishers last weekend, final time 75 mins for 2 laps, 5 miles. There were 105 ladies, final time 65 minutes for one lap 2.5 miles. It was to be fair an utterly bonkers course in appalling conditions but if you made the women go round again I’d say that a majority of them wouldn’t come back.

A fair few blokes pulled out after one lap as well, and while it would be good to give everyone the option to run either distance I’m not sure how the scoring would work in such a low key affair.

Agree the track, age group stuff is bonkers though
Feb 2020
12:12pm, 10 Feb 2020
10,298 posts
  •  
larkim
I can definitely see that time in the mud is important, and especially for those final finishers the difference can be significant and potentially massively offputting. That's why broadly I like the idea of the two senior races (a short course and a long course), as it does allow both ends of the field to choose how long they race for.

As with most of these things, there isn't an ideal solution which addresses all factors - particpation levels, equality, gender performance gaps, tradition, parity with national level events etc.
Feb 2020
5:33pm, 17 Feb 2020
12 posts
  •  
ancient
Anyone else doing the Nationals XC at Wollaton next Saturday? Have had XC races cancelled for last two weekends down here in London/Herts borders (they're soft down here) but hoping Nationals will still be on! But bound to be very soggy. Last ran it in 2014 and it wasn't too wet then!!
Feb 2020
8:45pm, 17 Feb 2020
1,672 posts
  •  
Will_Uyuni
Yes I'll be there. It was very muddy in 2017, and will be a whole lot worse this time.

Just hope that it goes ahead OK. Weather doesn't look to be too bad this week so hopefully the car park field should drain. The start/finish field won't though!
Feb 2020
12:00am, 18 Feb 2020
17,090 posts
  •  
Chrisity
I'll be there too, my aim is to get through the last muddy bit without stopping - i couldn't do that last time due to poor route choice.
Feb 2020
1:43pm, 18 Feb 2020
13 posts
  •  
ancient
Chrisity, any tips on route choice? Clearly going to be very different from my last time in 2014!! But I did manage Southern XC Champs this year and that was very muddy in places also.
Feb 2020
1:47pm, 18 Feb 2020
10,383 posts
  •  
larkim
No local knowledge, but when I've had muddy XC to run, especially wet with big puddles, I've adopted the "run through the middle" approach rather than trying to skirt to a side (suggested to me by my son who is quite good at XC).

Firstly because a majority of other runners are likely to aim for the sides too, so there's less congestion in the middle. And secondly because the sides tend to be angled inwards to the centre, so you might find the middle is flatter! You're going to get wet and muddy anyway, might as well get very wet and very muddy!
Feb 2020
1:51pm, 18 Feb 2020
34,213 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
And thirdly larks, because momentum is your friend. Any change of speed or direction can lead to a slip or jar. Whereas just going as quickly and smoothly and straight as possible, in addition to being quickest, is likely to be safest too.

It's how the hill (fell) runners tend to treat downhill too. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Buzzards Sis