•  
Dave A
No such thing.
25 Feb
7:44pm, 25 Feb 2024
10,177 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
A lot of what I read about what he does I’m not a fan of. Fair play about getting out and doing it and overcoming his illness, but there is something in it that doesn’t sit right with me. However, I’m not his target audience.
Yeah, it's really tricky isn't it? In his presentation he made a big deal about the best medication being out in the mountains and all the challenges that go with it, but in actual fact the way it came across was that all his "challenges" were essentially big Fails. A cynic might suggest that the most important thing is actually the kudos and adoration he garners as a result of what he does, however maybe that really is what he needs to maintain an appropriate level of self-respect.

Mental health is a tricky subject and I am generally clueless, it was a huge learning curve for me when I left the forces because until then I had little experience of it. I would venture to suggest that once those two words are mentioned, the majority of people would afford the sufferer considerable latitude - and perhaps that's what's happening here.
25 Feb
8:29pm, 25 Feb 2024
21,159 posts
  •  
flanker
I think there's a lot of truth in your first paragraph NE. There is definitely illness there, but I'm unclear how much of that is a personal problem (if that's the right word) and how much just a result of the environment that his generation live in. I'm just glad that when I was that age there was no such thing as social media; I think it would have been a very destructive influence for me. (It's not great now, even when I have more tools to deal with it).

After 40-odd miles there's no such thing as a good or bad fart; they're all just risky farts.
25 Feb
8:38pm, 25 Feb 2024
64,565 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m lucky I think living in a bit of a bubble. No TV and no FB suits me. I was vaguely aware of this lad having some bold plans a while back that sounded ambitious. Unless it’s something really good I’m not bothered about watching anyone running anywhere really. Mountain biking or skiing maybe yes
25 Feb
9:12pm, 25 Feb 2024
10,178 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I like watching track athletics. I like watching fell races at appropriate points too, a good descender is a thing to behold.
25 Feb
9:28pm, 25 Feb 2024
64,568 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I was thinking mountain or trail running. Olympics or similar yes
25 Feb
9:50pm, 25 Feb 2024
24,062 posts
  •  
Dave A
He’ll always be there, talking about what he has and hasn’t done, and that will make him and his followers happy.

We’re not his target market at the end of the day. Hopefully what he says and does is genuine and he’s not taking others for a ride.
There are plenty others out there who we all know who talk about their achievements, which in the grand scheme of things are good but not mind blowing. Take him as you take the others. There will be more of the same along to take his place.
25 Feb
10:02pm, 25 Feb 2024
64,570 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Agreed. He’s not hurting anyone really is he? And as you say Dave he’s unlikely to interest us
25 Feb
10:05pm, 25 Feb 2024
4,362 posts
  •  
paulcook
I'm not entirely convinced I'd have a clue who he was other than I probably have followed him on Twitter for several years, so probably aware of some (but certainly not all) of his endeavours. He seems honest enough, but as you suggest, possibly also a product of his changing generation.
8 Mar
1:27am, 8 Mar 2024
1,909 posts
  •  
Mark J
Watched Jeff Pelletier version yesterday with Mrs J. Very cool. And a reminder of just how beautiful the Lakes are. Probably one of the few things we miss from home.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dave A