The XC thread

90 watchers
Feb 2020
11:45pm, 20 Feb 2020
17,105 posts
  •  
Chrisity
Uni likely to get full, but if you are early enough here is the route that Will is talking about.

fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=1809303
Feb 2020
5:57pm, 22 Feb 2020
987 posts
  •  
Roberto
That was tough.

Some of the bogs were really hard work. Some of the logs placed in the bogs were really unnecessary, especially the bog after passing the lake which was incredibly heavy going anyway.

Finished 395th so well above my target of top 500 and beat a few who had beaten me at the northerns.

Really well organised event considering all the issues before hand around parking etc.
Feb 2020
8:21pm, 22 Feb 2020
1,674 posts
  •  
Will_Uyuni
Well done Roberto. Top 400 in that field is well handy.

I was a mere 10 minutes slower than on pretty much the same course in 2017. Finished having remained upright and still with both shoes in place so I'll take that as a win. Some 800 places behind Roberto though!
Feb 2020
11:39pm, 22 Feb 2020
17,116 posts
  •  
Chrisity
We made it 13k, longer than last year, mainly due to having to run at the edges rather than down the middle on some sections. The start was slightly back, and we ran a longer loop on that first small lap. I've put my garmins from both years in the gallery for comparison. It was far tougher though, and i agree with your views about the logs Roberto. I was only 3 mins slower, so i was quite happy with my time.
Feb 2020
7:45am, 23 Feb 2020
988 posts
  •  
Roberto
Well done both. I think just getting around in those conditions is am achievement.

Apparently there was 2700 registered for the mens race, but on 1700 ran, which is a huge amount of no shows.

The pictures are excellent and the set up they have used for sharing them is really good.
Feb 2020
11:58am, 23 Feb 2020
16 posts
  •  
ancient
I managed to finish the Nationals! It was very different from when I last ran it at Nottingham in 2014 - the ground was hard then! This time got stuck in the swamp, fell over, and had to take several attempts to pull my feet out of the mire! Tried to pick it up for the finish, only to lose my footing as ground changed to boggy again, careered into side screen, then fell over again as tried to get going whilst runners streamed past me. Not my best effort!!
Feb 2020
5:14pm, 23 Feb 2020
1,675 posts
  •  
Will_Uyuni
Interesting afternoon ancient, some days it’s just about getting round.

Have folks heard about Adam Hickey’s race. One of the favourites as won at Parliament Hill in 2018. Lost a shoe at the start, managed the first lap but fell over so shouted for a replacement. One of the juniors from his club found his missing spike and chucked it to him after the second lap. Quick pitstop sat on a bench to put it back on while shedding loads of places but got back to it. Worked his way up to 4th while being cheered on by runners he passed. A tremendous effort!

Thanks for posting that Chrisity, feel a bit better about losing 10 minutes in the slop now
Feb 2020
7:28am, 28 Feb 2020
17,127 posts
  •  
Chrisity
Video of the men's race on facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf9v-rcvsiM&feature=youtu.be

I'm tiptoeing through the ditch at 26.30 mins in , club vest is white with two blue hoops (for the Trent and the Beeston Canal). About 3 seconds later Alec M does a beautiful face plant, and the comradeship of running is seen.
Feb 2020
7:29am, 28 Feb 2020
17,128 posts
  •  
Chrisity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf9v-rcvsiM&feature=youtu.be]
Feb 2020
7:32am, 28 Feb 2020
17,129 posts
  •  
Chrisity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf9v-rcvsiM&feature=youtu.be