Road running v off-road (particularly races)

15 watchers
Jan 2013
2:25pm, 10 Jan 2013
8,079 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Indeed. Next week: Comfort food vs. Haute Cuisine.
Jan 2013
2:40pm, 10 Jan 2013
3,176 posts
  •  
paul the builder
fozzy - training for 6 months to a single target race, and then making sure that it does *not* all go horribly wrong on the day, is also a skill.
Jan 2013
5:59pm, 10 Jan 2013
4,951 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Fozzy, I was just playing devils advocate. I dont think it is to simplistic to say we are different....because we are all different and different things motivate us - all the answers here show that.

For me there may be two (or last year 3) marathons as the focus, the training is based around those main goals but I also had 4 x HMs, 3 x 10Ks (albeit one was a DNS and one a DNF) and maybe half a dozen parkruns as interim check of progress towards the A goal

I got my fix of other types of running through the training cycle as there is so much more to my training than just road miles. In fact I hate this time of year as running is restricted to roads only during the week due to daylight issues.

Racing every week or every other week would for me be boring and wouldnt give me a chance to focus on getting better and more from myself, time would be spent recovering and then racing and so on....I need a long term focus to motivate me
Jan 2013
7:26pm, 10 Jan 2013
6,016 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
One thing that does irk me is the evangelicism that does exist in some quarters - ie a member of my club telling me that fell running was the only way to avoid injury (giving me dark warnings about the demons of the evil road running) And then the pure focus that many of my club have towards fells.

And that's grand. For them. I don't mind them liking it. But I wish they could get that I don't, and won't. And if the evil road running ends up with me being injured, then so be it - maybe then I can return to Real Life (TM) and rediscover some of my friends that running has lost ;)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
Since it's a sunday evening, I was having a think about why some of us prefer to run and race offro...