The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

331 watchers
Sep 2016
4:54pm, 25 Sep 2016
640 posts
  •  
Uyuni
Well done Nelly a much tougher course than the GMM so that's definitely not a step back. I only did the half but some club mates that did the full struggled a bit in the wind. Plus the first half was a lot hillier than last year
Sep 2016
5:07pm, 25 Sep 2016
5,090 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
Nice running Guys.
Paced a mate round Loch Ness in sub 4, distance was an issue an legs stiffened after 17M but was manageable as the pace was steady.

Suspect that own my own next week at Chester I will run around 3:40-45 and my legs will suffer from maybe 10M.

Decent long run done :-)
Sep 2016
5:25pm, 25 Sep 2016
639 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Well done Gus. You still do astronomical mileage by my standards so 3:15 should be a breeze 😉. I recommend the Cold War tour of Berlin if you get the chance.
Sep 2016
7:39pm, 25 Sep 2016
3,749 posts
  •  
clare1976
Congratulations to Gus and Nelly on very credible marathons today each with various factors conspiring either today and/or in the run-up.
Sep 2016
7:40pm, 25 Sep 2016
12,216 posts
  •  
Dvorak
If you want to see some Berlin Marathon it is here on the front page at the moment

rbb-online.de

Split into chunks so use the right arrow on the clip to progress through them.
Sep 2016
9:09pm, 25 Sep 2016
2,679 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Great running there Gus, really excellent result off a really interrupted build up. Fingers crossed that can get a trouble-free campaign in ahead of a spring marathon as you deserve some better luck. If you get it we could be in for something very special.

Sorry to hear your outcome Nelly. It looks to me like you lost heart rather than anything else over the last few. You know that you got yourself in excellent shape, don't despair, don't rush, just get yourself back together in time to build for a great spring run.
Sep 2016
9:13pm, 25 Sep 2016
10,533 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
great running today Gus, that outcome is great considering the build up you had,

Nelly - you ran well also off training that wasnt perfect. However, thats two good campaigns in a row and I am pretty sure that you can build on this and take the next step forward in the spring

Donran - come and check in......
Sep 2016
11:51am, 26 Sep 2016
5,762 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Good effort Nelly - very close to getting it spot on by the look of it. How did you rate the course? And are you off the M6 yet?

That looks like a pretty good outcome Gus, given the last few weeks.
Sep 2016
2:51pm, 26 Sep 2016
3,514 posts
  •  
Nelly
Those are a lovely set of splits Gus, well done (again). Surely that gives you confidence that a PB is still possible if you can have a trouble-free spring campaign.

Yes, I’m off the M6 now thanks PtB ;-) Thanks for the comments guys. Having had a bit of time to think about it I’m still generally happy with my run yesterday, but I know that I left a probable PB on the road due to loosing heart, as WW kindly described it (or more realistically = giving up), once I’d missed out on the sub-3:10 target; my legs certainly weren’t in bad enough shape to warrant the 5mins lost in the last 10k.

I’m not sure I’d recommend RH for a marathon PB attempt; there’s a few sharp inclines in the first couple of miles (much sharper than I was expecting), but the main thing is the lack of numbers in the second half (I finished in about 60th, and even with my slow down at the time nobody passed me between 20-23miles). And the drag along the river is quite open and liable to a headwind. And yes, my Garmin measured it short, but most other people’s was longer than 26.2; although it didn’t help with the erratic mile marker placement (just like GMM).
Sep 2016
3:26pm, 26 Sep 2016
3,767 posts
  •  
postieboy
Even with my two good marathons, I ran the last 2 to 3 miles on willpower. The tank was empty so it became a mental game then.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw
York: 20/10: SJA
Cleethorpes 23/11: riggys