Heart rate

298 watchers
Feb 2021
11:53am, 5 Feb 2021
13,427 posts
  •  
larkim
My wife's singular inability to run at pace uphill could do with being helped out with that book :-)

On a more generalised note, I find it very interesting how different activities spark different HRs for me.

I ran a 20m at avg 136 at the weekend and arrived home feeling (relatively) fresh. An hour on Zwift last night however averaging 125 and I felt knackered. Clearly down to muscular strength / adaption too as I'm not a regular cyclist.

(And then my wife encouraged me (and my kids and her) to a challenge of running up and down the 24 stairs in our house for 15 minutes and I maxed out at 175bpm, which is only a few beats off my max. I suppose the steps maxxing out HR isn't hugely surprising, but I didn't feel like I was at max compared to when I tried a maxHR test running about 8-10 months ago where I was at vomit stage by then).
Feb 2021
11:38am, 10 Feb 2021
4,361 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
New Polar optical strap out, ie an upgrade to the popular OH1

DCR review dcrainmaker.com

He likes it !.
One thing I didn't realise is that there is normally more of a lag with optical units than with chest straps when doing intervals on the bike, compared to run intervals :-
"most optical HR sensors look at running cadence via the accelerometer as a supporting factor for figuring out intensity shifts. So in this case, it sees my cadence naturally increase as I increase intensity, allowing the algorithm to consider that a valid increase faster than on the bike, where it doesn’t have extra data"
Feb 2021
6:31pm, 10 Feb 2021
1,419 posts
  •  
Daz Love
Thanks for the link Gus.

I have been toying with the OH1 based on reviews as well as Larks being happy :)

Still haven't took the plunge but this will very likely be my next running purchase.
Feb 2021
4:44pm, 21 Feb 2021
1,420 posts
  •  
Daz Love
See the original OH1 is about for £50 now. Will probably take the plunge on the new one but the reduced price on the original is making me think!!
Mar 2021
9:31pm, 9 Mar 2021
1,423 posts
  •  
Daz Love
Took the plunge and the Polar Verity Sense arrived today. Just now need to not be injured and run with it. Used on a Bike Ride earlier and all looked good (although took a few mins to get going)
Mar 2021
3:25pm, 10 Mar 2021
4,128 posts
  •  
StuH
I know max HR is supposed to fall with age, but 10bpm in 3 years? Surely not that much.
3 or 4 years ago I was fairly confident I had a max of 172/3. Using a chest strap I saw that a few times pushing hard at the end of a 5k effort, or on intense hill reps.
Since then I have not really done much 'speed', but a lot of miles at aerobic/easy pace. I now have a much bigger base but struggle to get my HR up. I have recently been re-introducing some speed, 5k time-trials, hill reps and cannot get my HR over 160.
Mar 2021
3:30pm, 10 Mar 2021
11,573 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
you're not trying hard enough! ;-) Seriously, maybe after a lot of easy miles then in the 5K TT you just aren't putting yourself in enough pain. I found after ultra training I never wanted to get above lactate threshold and consequently my 5K/10K time was dropping and my 'max' heat rate dropped. As I am doing more intervals now, the speed is coming back and I can get above L/T again.
Mar 2021
3:35pm, 10 Mar 2021
4,129 posts
  •  
StuH
I think you're probably right, I commented 1k into this morning's 5k I'd rather be running 34 easy miles than 3 hard. I just can't imagine pushing harder and not blowing up.
Mar 2021
3:43pm, 10 Mar 2021
22,104 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Heh, I was going to post CW's first sentence. Since I bought a new hr watch, after a while without monitoring, it took a few goes at fakeparkrun before I hit a max again. Which, assuming figures are accurate, puts me having a drop of 4 bpm of mhr in around ten years.

On Saturday, I ran a fpr where 4 km of it averaged around 85% whr (yes, I'd started a little briskly). Hr rose only slightly as pace dropped a little throughout the sustained effort (and a headwind on the home leg). Ended up on 92% whr (181 bpm).

Tbh, over the four days since, I have been wondering if running so hard for that distance was currently entirely wise.
Mar 2021
11:21am, 11 Mar 2021
1,774 posts
  •  
Brunski
StuH - I’ve had similar ‘issues’ with establishing changes in my max HR.

Like you I was pretty confident in a 170 I saw during a full out ‘race’ with a few friends over about a mile a few years ago... I was bent over, gasping for air afterwards. Since then I’ve not seen many values higher than 165 that I’ve been confident in. Unsurprisingly my highest average run over 5k was when I ran a parkrun in late 2019 when pretty unfit after feet injuries (averaged 159 and had a max of 169 during a sprint finish).

Since I’ve been fitter (aerobically) I don’t get up into the 160s very often at all, the highest kind of average I can maintain is mid 150s, I pin my threshold between 149 and 152.

It’s a shame my timed mile over the weekend had an unreliable HR trace - I got up into the 160s after about 800m and the last half hurt like hell for a new PB of 4:53.

So what I’d take from that is it’s easier to get up close to your HR max when you’re not trained aerobically, I reckon I’ve lost a few beats with age (maybe I should adjust my max on here/Strava to 167 or 168, but it does make me question whether I couldn’t hurt a bit more over the 5k 10k distance so that I’m getting up closer to the max by the end (rather than sort of floating just a bit above threshold - so 12-13 beats away from what I think it is now)

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach