Heart rate

298 watchers
Apr 2021
2:41pm, 15 Apr 2021
17,451 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Ah not wrist ones. How do they work?

Athletes get enlarged hearts, they can rotate slightly as they enlarge leading to one of the ECG trail leads not picking up a signal.
Apr 2021
4:26pm, 15 Apr 2021
14,018 posts
  •  
larkim
No idea how they work really, but this article suggests there's a few out there.

wareable.com
Apr 2021
9:49am, 17 Apr 2021
4,530 posts
  •  
steve45
I'm not clued up on tech to the degree that I can make really valid comments about wrist monitors but my logic forces me to query whether accuracy is there. I'm sure that if it was that simple then hospitals, doctors etc wouldn't waste space and time with the complicated looking set ups currently used.
I know that even wrist heart rate monitors are notoriously inaccurate.
Apr 2021
12:52pm, 17 Apr 2021
1,992 posts
  •  
Flatlander
The watch ECG measures one signal, whereas hospital ECGs monitor multiple signals.
That is why the watch makers are marketing theirs as aids to indicate atrial fibrillation, which their single signal can do. Hospital ECGs can detect other arrhythmias and other cardiac problems.

AF is not uncommon in trained athletes and older people, but can be difficult to detect due to its sometimes transient nature. Therefore, having a watch which is frequently monitoring you increases the chance of indicating AF. If AF is left undetected and untreated, clots can form in the heart and then disperse, notably to the brain where a stroke may occur.
The ECG watch makers aren't claiming a diagnostic service, due to the monitoring of just one signal, rather they are attempting to provide an indicative service which needs further investigation.
Apr 2021
5:11pm, 28 Apr 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
BLOCKED
[Removed by moderator]
Apr 2021
11:23am, 30 Apr 2021
1,163 posts
  •  
puzzler
I joined the ranks of armband wearers today as Scosche Rhythm 2.0 arrived. Part of a journey as the Garmin strap was causing a skin rash but a new strap meant the HR sensor wasn’t very tight. So I thought I’d try the armband.

Mixed bag of a first attempt. First mile was silly readings so I changed the position several times to get a sensible reading. Then it was fine, but I got home and realised I hadn’t removed the protective film from the sensor! I’ll give it a proper go tomorrow.
May 2021
11:10pm, 9 May 2021
2 posts
  •  
Mr. Grumpy
I’ve been following this thread and training via Heart Rate for just over two and a half years now, but am still unsure that I’m doing the right thing with my ‘easy running’.

I had a Lactate Threshold Test in August 2018, and was keeping my easy running under 139bpm as per the results of the test, which was the point that my Blood Lactate took it’s first noticeable upturn (~2.7mmol/L gauging from the chart). This also backed up what I’d roughly calculated from the John L. Parker book mentioned years ago in this thread, using 70% of WHR for my easy runs.

I wouldn’t say that this ‘feels’ easy while I’m running though, and although I could talk in a couple of sentences, it’s definitely NOT what I would call ‘conversational pace’.

I’ve since read various other articles on HR training, and 70% of Max seems to crop up a lot, along with various other calculations, all of which are lower than what I’ve been training to.

I had a second Lactate test in March 2020, but couldn’t put into place the advised training program changes due to COVID and lockdown hitting straight afterwards, and for various reasons, ended up with no structure to my running, just churning out steady miles for the sake of doing something to keep fit during lockdown.

I’m just coming back from an injury, and my fitness has dropped considerably, which is what’s prompted me
to think again about where I should be with my easy running due to the conflicting information that I’ve read.
Should I be targeting 70% WHR, or 70% Max? Also, does the duration of the run make any difference to the HR that should be targeted?

TIA for any advice.
May 2021
1:39am, 10 May 2021
22,387 posts
  •  
Dvorak
My initial thought is that if your sub 70% whr runs feel neither easy nor conversational, there's something a bit odd.

(My second thought is: it's half one! Even I should be asleep.)
May 2021
8:59am, 10 May 2021
7,088 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Hi Mr. Grumpy :-)

I honestly can't tie up the numbers in your commentary with the graphs you've provided. First graph is missing a few labels which an HR thread cardinal sin ;-). The second graph suggests your lactate turning point is around 6:30m/m from a test earlier this year. That looks at the very least in line with your recorded races; in fact probably indicates better than that.

Agree with Dvorak's fundamental point - if what you think is an 'easy' doesn't feel easy and conversational, then something's not right. Most people kid themselves the other way (that they are running easy when they're actually not).

Arguing over whether to use 70% WHR or 75% MaxHR is usually a bit pointless as they are typically pretty close. But 70% MaxHR is going to be quite a bit lower than 70% WHR.

Whichever metric you pick (and either 75% Max or 70% WHR both *should* work for most people - as a ceiling, not an average target), without seeing a lot more of your training and racing data, it's impossible to say. But something probably isn't right.
May 2021
10:08am, 10 May 2021
454 posts
  •  
Shades
Mr Grumpy - have you done an MHR test? Not sure if the lactate test too you to max. If not the formula for calculating MHR just doesn't work for a lot of folk.

I have a lowish MHR and that means that the bpm for 70% MHR and 75% WHR are very different and if I used WHR calculations I would be doing my easy runs at 79% MHR which is way too high.

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach