Heart rate

298 watchers
Mar 2021
11:36am, 11 Mar 2021
22,115 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Does that mean you are maintaining a hard effort at around 88, even up to 90% whr, Brunski? That's impressive. As is your mile.

I'm convinced you can go out and hurt yourself a bit more ;-) What went awry with the mile trace?
Mar 2021
11:53am, 11 Mar 2021
1,775 posts
  •  
Brunski
I’ve been using the polar OH1 Dvorak and it’s been excellent on 98% of my runs, I’m not sure what went wrong, maybe I nudged it (wear it on the inside of my left bicep) but there are a couple of blips and then the end is very odd on Saturday.

I think by not doing many intervals I maybe have a bit to gain on the VO2 max side, but if I start doing intervals that might affect the amount of zone 1 and 2 work I can fit in. Overall I’m really happy with my running (at 45), but maybe there’s an argument for taking a few months or so to try a 5k plan and see what I really might be capable of.
Apr 2021
2:45pm, 6 Apr 2021
4,495 posts
  •  
steve45
Bit behind in viewing and then commenting here. Been running for 43 years so I should have a fairly good base line HR fitness.
My maximum heart rate (measured doing a HR test and using chest strap) has dropped fifteen bpm in exactly 16 years (since March 2004). It has dropped from 174 bpm to 159 today and I would find it difficult (at least in my head!) to get it higher than that. My resting HR though has dropped from 62 to 57 during the same period.
What cheeses me off though is that I am not comfortable enough or running at a decent pace enough in the recognised aerobic zones.
I've also noticed that my heart misses about two beats in every minute which wasn't a factor until mid last year.
Age has undoubtedly had an impact; I'm 72 and in the "Lore of Running" it states that at over the age of 70 a max heart rate should be 150 with target heart rate 90-132! I think I should take up crawling instead!!
I have an ECG this week to make me feel less bothered about the missed heart beats and check that the ticker is in reasonable order.
Apr 2021
12:04pm, 9 Apr 2021
4,503 posts
  •  
steve45
ECG came back ok so maybe I should put some more effort in!
Apr 2021
12:52pm, 9 Apr 2021
1,890 posts
  •  
bonners
Glad to hear you're okay Steve 👍
Apr 2021
1:08pm, 9 Apr 2021
17,428 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Glad it's ok - skipped beats are usually PVCs (Premature ventricular contractions), a lot of runners get them, me included - they're un-nerving but not thought to be serious or need treatment. Identifying triggers (for me caffeine) is a good way to avoid them.
Apr 2021
10:40am, 10 Apr 2021
4,508 posts
  •  
steve45
Thanks folks!
Apr 2021
1:43pm, 15 Apr 2021
14,001 posts
  •  
larkim
Talking of ECG, does anyone have a watch which does ECG and make any use of it? I know the current generation Apple Watch does (a consultant cardiologist mentioned this a couple of months back), but some others do too. Is ECG worth paying attention to regularly, or is it something just worth looking at if you think there's an issue?
Apr 2021
1:55pm, 15 Apr 2021
17,450 posts
  •  
Chrisull
It depends if your heart is ECGable properly too, mine isn't (rotated).
Apr 2021
2:03pm, 15 Apr 2021
14,004 posts
  •  
larkim
Does that even impact the wrist ECGs? (Not that I've ever heard of a rotated heart anyway, so that's something new for me to google!)

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach