Advanced Marathoning by P&D Any tried the schedules?

86 watchers
Nov 2017
4:05pm, 16 Nov 2017
4 posts
  •  
Slowkentrunner
Thanks Guys, See you over on the 3:15 thread
Nov 2017
4:22pm, 16 Nov 2017
1,933 posts
  •  
StuHolmes
I don't think you'll be seeing me there anytime soon! :)
Nov 2017
4:42pm, 16 Nov 2017
27,767 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Skr - I'm sure you'd do great on P&D training plan.

1. 6 marathons in a year is unlikely to get you your best! (other opinions will exist!)
2. The book is a great read, not just using the training plans. Advice on pace, nutrition, strength and conditioning, recovery, race day prep etc. £10 on Amazon?

See you on 3:15 thread! :-) G
Nov 2017
4:45pm, 16 Nov 2017
27,768 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
amazon.co.uk

I think that's got the Fetch commission embedded in the link, if not go via this.

amazon.co.uk

£11.18 - my bad! :-) G
Nov 2017
5:06pm, 16 Nov 2017
3,322 posts
  •  
larkim
+1 for P&D. Got me 3:14:29 on a debut doing the 12 week / 55 mpw plan. See you in the 3:15 thread!
Nov 2017
5:10pm, 16 Nov 2017
26,137 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Top training plan, got me my 3.15! I can't recommend it (and the book) enough.
Nov 2017
3:33pm, 17 Nov 2017
5 posts
  •  
Slowkentrunner
HappyG already have the book. Been through it twice already while sulking around wondering why i blew up at mile 17 during the NYC marathon.

6 marathons because i kept messing up with my goal just in sight and I stupidly kept booking other marathons thinking i'll fix it next time. :)
Nov 2017
1:14pm, 20 Nov 2017
27,776 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Skr - after a bad marathon cycle, you def can fix it. In 4-6 months, not a few weeks later, imho!

Glad you're enjoying the book. I've done a few rounds of P&D and PB'd on each one. I have to say, to get the later PBs (and hence harder times!) I went to the 55-70 mile per week plan. And I increased their number of over 20 mile runs. While I think it's got a great balance of total mileage, speed work and a good structure, the only place I think it was slightly light, for my particular weakness, was long runs.

I think there are only 5 or 6 over 20 miles in the 14 weeks of full mileage - I upped this to 10. Mostly I would just add easy miles before or after an MP run or just make the 18 into 20 miles etc.

Blowing up late in a marathon (after 16 miles or later) is one of 3 things:

* Not enough total mileage or long runs
* Going out too fast on race day (e.g. if you are capable of 3:15 @ 7:22 pace, then going out at 6:52 pace for a sub 3 won't work!)
* Fuel - running out of sugar, aka "hitting the wall" will do it too. Do you know how many gels / other sugary things you need to take to still have enough carbs in your system at the end of the race?

Cheers, :-) G
Nov 2017
9:22pm, 20 Nov 2017
6 posts
  •  
Slowkentrunner
Thanks HappyG ! you are definitely spot on with your analysis. In my first 2 marathons I hit the wall due to a shortage of fuel and electrolytes. I remember bonking and getting a kickstart after i poured water over my head and the sweaty water entered my mouth.

Other than my first marathon, Berlin was the only marathon where i had a proper block of time to prepare between marathons and thats when i got my PB. I had my nutrition nailed , but even then i started cramping in both my calves (this happened in all my previous marathons).

I feel in training i did my long runs way too fast and therefore i didn't finish them strong. I did no long runs where i finished with marathon pace, i was usually too tired 10 miles in to put in any speed spurts even minor.

At the NYC marathon i aimed at breaking 3:25 , i had completed Berlin in 3:26 just 4 weeks prior and i felt i could manage the pace. however i went out way too fast, 15 miles in i had 5 minutes "in the bank". then after that last bridge around mile 17 things started going downhill. By mile 20 all i could manage was a walk/jog and i ended up finishing around 3:50.
Nov 2017
9:24pm, 20 Nov 2017
7 posts
  •  
Slowkentrunner
Edit - Berlin marathon was 6 weeks before NYC

About This Thread

Maintained by IanRunner
Here's the book on Amazon:

amzn.to