What to eat before Training

1 watcher
Feb 2016
3:17pm, 11 Feb 2016
40 posts
  •  
Fat Tulip
I think it's hard to say without trying as we're all so different. I wouldn't get on with eating before but I might just have a weak stomach!
Feb 2016
3:21pm, 11 Feb 2016
755 posts
  •  
Churchy_7
If my long run is at the weekend in the morning I just have a coffee, a water and go
If its in the evening I make sure I eat correctly at lunch time - chicken and salad mainly
Feb 2016
3:26pm, 11 Feb 2016
447 posts
  •  
larkim
I have my slap up tea (e.g. roast dinner, plus cake!) at about 6:15-6:30 weekdays and then head out running at 8pm, doesn't seem to affect my running. I wouldn't do closer than an hour, but other than that I don't see to have any issues.
Feb 2016
4:20pm, 11 Feb 2016
4,211 posts
  •  
sallykate
Pasta with a simple sauce like tomato was always a favourite lunch for me if I was running long in the afternoon. What I can't cope with so well is anything protein-rich.
Feb 2016
4:24pm, 11 Feb 2016
7,969 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I think pre-run fuelling is very personal - I need to have at least a snack but wouldn't eat a meal, Mr AL runs 'fasted' even on long morning runs with great success. Our 18 year old has a snack about an hour before running in the evening and then eats with us when we're all back.
Feb 2016
7:12pm, 11 Feb 2016
649 posts
  •  
jdarun
What to eat, or when to eat? As for the when, before, after and during all work for me, and I'm not too fussy about the what either (though dry stuff is hard to get down while running). A big curry once just before an evening interval session wasn't perhaps the ideal preparation, but I survived (as did my clubmates).

Usually try to have a light meal 60-90 mins before training, 2h if racing.
Feb 2016
8:29pm, 11 Feb 2016
26,427 posts
  •  
OhMyFleecingGod
I'd experiment with her having dinner at 5 as usual and see how she goes, just change it if she gets a stitch or it doesn't suit her. Personally I'd happily eat a 3 course meal 2 hours before running, but I think I have an iron stomach compared with most runners :) Kids seem to get on better with eating and exercise, when I was a kid my brother and I would go straight from the dinner table to a trampoline with no ill effects!

And welcome to fetch :)
Feb 2016
8:32pm, 11 Feb 2016
20,133 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
When I was "streaking" I was surprised how little even a large meal and a couple of drinks affected my running. Fish, chips and peas plus a couple of rum and cokes was fine one night :-)
Feb 2016
2:18pm, 12 Feb 2016
4 posts
  •  
Sinatra
I told her to have a sandwich last night before training but said she could have a plate of tuna pasta next time when she got home from school. We shall see how that goes.
Feb 2016
2:36pm, 12 Feb 2016
11,373 posts
  •  
Dvorak
How was the training? Did she enjoy it?

About This Thread

Maintained by MerseysideMorph
Hi

I'm taking my daughter along to her first session at a running club tonight and was wondering...