What to eat before Training

1 watcher
Feb 2016
11:24am, 11 Feb 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
Sinatra
Hi

I'm taking my daughter along to her first session at a running club tonight and was wondering what she should eat prior to training. Normally she has her evening tea around five but training doesn't start until seven and it'll be at least eight by the time we get back home.

Any suggestions as to what she could have?

Thanks

Sinatra
Feb 2016
12:03pm, 11 Feb 2016
441 posts
  •  
larkim
Nothing special, and those timings look fine. My three boys all go to athletics training every Tuesday (have done for years) at varying levels of intensity (eldest is a 17:15 5k runner, so reasonably quick), and they all just have a normal tea around 5-ish and start training about 7-ish without difficulty.
Feb 2016
12:26pm, 11 Feb 2016
11,366 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hi Sinatra, welcome to Fetch :-). Some people I know can't really eat anything and run, even with a couples of hours gap. Mind you, they are (supposedly!) grown ups, I suspect kids are more resilient. However, I can wolf down a full meal and run. Might she get a bit excited or nervous though? As that's what makes me throw up. I'd suggest a light tea and take something to nibble, like cereal bars, in case it's needed before or after.
Feb 2016
12:36pm, 11 Feb 2016
442 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd expect a first timer at a running club, particularly if she is a child (you don't say how old she is?) would be taken very much at their own pace so isn't going to end up in some nutrition deficit at a club training session. Young children particularly are not trained hard and coaches learn how each young athlete responds / develops.

My eldest has been going since he was 9 so he's had 7 years of it and the club is fantastically nurturing, particularly to those kids who turn up wanting to participate actively - there are always a decent handful who just turn up to be with their mates and never turn out for events, but from the club's perspective better that they are there doing some general athletic fitness than not there at all and sat in front of a TV.

I wouldn't fret too much about specific athletic nutrition for a child, unless you know that they have specific issues / attitudes towards food. If you can, avoid the temptation to follow the advertising with "needing" to take a bottle of lucozade to the track. For an hour's youth training session, water is perfectly fine, and as Dvorak suggests something reasonably healthy like a cereal bar, piece of fruit etc afterwards might be handy as a plan B - but I've never needed it for my boys.

(Oh, and welcome, I hadn't spotted you were a first time poster!)
Feb 2016
12:38pm, 11 Feb 2016
443 posts
  •  
larkim
btw, which club? Kirkby, Southport, St Helens?
Feb 2016
12:55pm, 11 Feb 2016
2 posts
  •  
Sinatra
Thanks for the replies. She's early teens and the club is Southport Larkim.
Feb 2016
1:26pm, 11 Feb 2016
444 posts
  •  
larkim
They always seem like a very friendly and child focussed club when I've come across them (my boys compete against them in Sportshall (winter indoor) and also outdoors on cross country and track) as we're in that region too (my club is Halton & Frodsham Harriers). Hope she enjoys it!!
Feb 2016
1:30pm, 11 Feb 2016
8,462 posts
  •  
Chrisull
My kids get stitches if they eat within a couple of hours of running (as I would), and a few other of the juniors I've coached can also get stitches too, so I'd keep one eye on that.
Feb 2016
1:49pm, 11 Feb 2016
38 posts
  •  
Fat Tulip
Sounds like she'd be fine eating at 5, but if not, I would just move her tea to 8pm when you get home - maybe adding in a banana or something at 5 if she finds the wait too difficult.
Feb 2016
3:04pm, 11 Feb 2016
3 posts
  •  
Sinatra
Normally she'll finish school at four come home have a sandwich and go running with me at around six, having her tea when we got back around seven. I wasn't sure if it would be okay for her to have a little plate of pasta or something when she got home from school or if it would lay heavy on her stomach before training at seven. Thanks for all your replies :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by MerseysideMorph
Hi

I'm taking my daughter along to her first session at a running club tonight and was wondering...