The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

5 lurkers | 330 watchers
Oct 2020
10:58am, 28 Oct 2020
36,233 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
At parkrun I would normally have been top 10 (top 3 at small local, lower maybe in biggest). In cross country (club level athletics) I consider it a win if I'm higher than bottom third! Never been top half. Been as low as bottom quarter! Perspective and all that! :-) G
Oct 2020
4:24pm, 28 Oct 2020
16,744 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Big_G - Ha, yes when I was doing support on virtual London day, I spotted all my age category top contenders who I can't get near, cruising at sub 3 kind of pace, I am under no illusion! The only thing in my favour is the new route is hilly as hell and I am comparatively better on the hills than some of those around me (not the best, but those people who are my level on the flat). My secret weapon is I turned 50 this year, so fingers crossed I left some of them behind as mere 45-49 striplings.
Oct 2020
10:04am, 31 Oct 2020
1,285 posts
  •  
Marchbanks
Good morning everyone!

My PB stands at 3:36 for Chester marathon last year and I’m trying to keep myself ticking over with marathon training over winter.

Originally I wasn’t going to run a marathon at the end of the 16 weeks of training but now I’m considering it and aiming for a PB. It won’t be an event, just a run against myself locally.

Cautiously I thought I’d aim for sun 3:30 but after yesterday’s tempo run (9M at 6:57 min/mile average), I am going to aim for sub 3:15. Currently on 50-60 mpw and will peak at 72. Have never run this amount before, 50 in my peak week in the past.

Next week will be week 6/16 :

M: 50 minutes easy
T: 2M w/u 5x6mins (6:10m/m pace) 2 min jog rec 1M c/d
W: 10 steady
Th: 2M w/u 10M tempo (7-7:05 min/mile average)
F: Rest
S:2M w/u 45 minute fartlek/hills 1M c/d
S: 20M

Any feedback or advice and tips welcome :) I’m having a read through this thread from the beginning but it may take a while, I’m up to page 15.
jda
Oct 2020
10:58am, 31 Oct 2020
8,728 posts
  •  
jda
Looks a bit hard to me tbh. I generally do two or maybe three proper sessions a week when in training but that's counting the long run as one of them (which often has threshold intervals within it). And the third session when I do it is my club intervals which I don't take very seriously (typically 18 mins work in intervals of 1-3 min duration). So three hard/fast runs plus 20m looks like a lot to me, I'd probably just do an hour steady on Saturday.
SKR
Oct 2020
10:59am, 31 Oct 2020
995 posts
  •  
SKR
@March, 3 workouts a week seems a bit too much in my opinion.
Oct 2020
11:11am, 31 Oct 2020
2,621 posts
  •  
B Rubble
You’re looking good Marchbanks, 3:15 should be easily achievable with the right training. I agree with jda and SKR, too many hard sessions in your plan which will increase your risk of overtraining and injury. I think your target of increasing mileage to 72 mpw is a good one. I would also make Saturday’s run easy and gradually add to Sunday (increase distance to 23-24 miles plus mp up to 13 miles).
Oct 2020
11:13am, 31 Oct 2020
4,853 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Great to see MB: enthusiasm, miles, commitment.

On reading the thread from the beginning, I really wouldn’t bother. This thread tends to repeat itself periodically, making small modifications as it moves forward. I’m sure we’ll all be happy to regurgitate the latest views, some which have actually moved on a little in the last 10-12 years!! I think training philosophy has generally moved on somewhat overall and away from the LSR with the very big S in it to something with more structure, for instance.

Agree with the boys above on the number of sessions. Noted that some of us will have more miles on the clock / more grey hair than you but 3 sessions + long run would be very hardcore at our level. Tbh I’m at the stage where I can only really manage 1 + LR, just like JDA.

Good luck, keep coming back with updates and questions.
Oct 2020
11:14am, 31 Oct 2020
4,854 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
And I see it’s actually 14 years since this thread began 😀!
SKR
Oct 2020
11:26am, 31 Oct 2020
996 posts
  •  
SKR
@March for some context, i do my workouts on wed & Sat. Wed workout is usually shorter intervals and saturdays are for longer threshold or MP. I think the rationale is that if you take it easy during the non-sessions you can put ll you have into the sessions with enough time in between to recover.
Oct 2020
11:33am, 31 Oct 2020
2,622 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Thanks for pointing that out WW. The thread can be an unruly teenager at times 😀. Interesting that we had a similar conversation about training plans on the first pages.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Boston UK 28/4: SJA
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw