Shoes (again!) - recommendations for long and rocky

8 watchers
fff
Jun 2013
7:06am, 13 Jun 2013
200 posts
  •  
fff
I don't think the mudclaws are as good as they used to be. mine are wrecked again.....however I still have the most confidence in them for grippiness on rocks. I have enjoyed the La sportiva shoes and found them to be a great fit and good on grassy runs.

I haven't seen the mizuno shoes. Planet fear in keswick were giving people some shoes I think they were Asics to trial out for them....
I think you are right Derby- the descending is mostly in the mind regardless of shoe

does noone wear those PB shoes anymore? I know people who swear by them, but I found them to have no support round the ankle....maybe that's the point you have ankles of steel when you graduate to them
Jun 2013
7:13am, 13 Jun 2013
5,791 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I have a pair of Walsh PBs waiting for collection at the post office. My problem is the same as yours fff; I seem to twist my ankle in them quite often, albeit in a minor, 'ouch that hurt, but I'll quickly run it off', sort of a way. I just like having a pair and supporting the company I guess. They're fine for fell running lite on the local moors
Jun 2013
10:04am, 13 Jun 2013
5,544 posts
  •  
flip
my last 3 pairs of mudclaws fell apart in no time as all .and it's not just me , I've looked into this on the fells and Gupta very common problem . I used to love them but I nolonger feel inov8s are worth it.

DerbyT , it's a different steff then , she did her BGR last year ,amazingly without a single recce .mind she's canny fast and often placed high in the fell races.
Jun 2013
10:47am, 13 Jun 2013
128 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
The Run&Become website has a really good range of trail shoes runandbecome.com not sure if they have all those in the Edinburgh shop, but might be worth popping in and seeing, plus I'm sure you must have one of their £10 off vouchers lying around from a recent race.

They have most of the ones that have been discussed - both the Mizunos ( Wave Harrier and Wave Ascend ), new style Roclites, Brooks Cascadias, even Hokas :-)

The adidas XT4 might be sort of what you're after, not as heavy and protective as the adidas Kanadia ? Not tries them myself but look a nice low trail shoe
Jun 2013
5:57pm, 13 Jun 2013
20,402 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Gus, yes that XT4 looks good too. I think I might actually need to go into Run and Become or somewhere and try a few on. When you next down at club? Not seen you for a while. Is PF still causing you gip? Hope you're OK. :-)G
Jun 2013
6:25pm, 13 Jun 2013
5,798 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Good thread . Meandering along nicely like a 'long and rocky' run :-)
Jun 2013
6:37pm, 13 Jun 2013
129 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Not got rid of the PF, but "managing" it. Not been at the club much recently - up north on holiday last week, then 7 Hills recce on Sunday past, 5k Meadows race last night, then 7 Hills Race this Sunday, and Red Moss next Wednesday. So sounds like a week on Sunday for next club outing !
Jun 2013
7:06pm, 13 Jun 2013
130 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Just remembered another shoe that fits what you're looking for and that I've read good reviews about ( but not tried ) - North Face Hyper Track Guide.

This is the shoe Jez Bragg used when he ran the whole length of New Zealand in record time recently

Don't think the running shops have it, but you may find it in Cotswolds in Rose Street cotswoldoutdoor.com
Jun 2013
9:01pm, 13 Jun 2013
20,404 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'll see you at Red Moss tho Gus. I'll see if I can keep up with you this time!

Wow, running in Jez Bragg's shoes! Will def take a look.

I've got Walsh PBs too btw fff and DT. Didn't like them at first. Now they've done 800 miles I much prefer them! But a bit neither one nor the other - not stiff enough sole to protect from rocks, not comfy enough as a trail runner, not that grippy either, imho. :-)G
Jun 2013
9:28pm, 13 Jun 2013
7,199 posts
  •  
Boab
I'll be in a pair of road shoes G. Will stick my trail shoes in the car, just in case, but if i am running 50 miles, i want the cushioning.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Sorry to start yet another thread on a topic that's probably been covered a million times and to wh...