Shoe advice please!

2 watchers
Jun 2022
2:48pm, 3 Jun 2022
430 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
I have 'road shoes', I have 'trail shoes', I have 'cross country spikes', but now I'm looking at shoes for athletics (Vets League, not expecting miracle performances or anything). I like to take part in high jump, long jump, 3000m track, and sometimes the 100/200m relay. Normally I just wear my road shoes, but I've been thinking for a while I should look into 'athletics' type shoes - any suggestions? Thanks!
Jun 2022
2:53pm, 3 Jun 2022
19,908 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Middle distance spikes will be fine for all that lot, Louise.

You already wear XC spikes so shouldn't find MD spikes that weird.
Jun 2022
2:54pm, 3 Jun 2022
431 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
Thanks!
Jun 2022
2:55pm, 3 Jun 2022
42,518 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I loved my Adidas MD spikes. They weren't expensive, lasted well and made me feel super speedy (esp on 100m, 200m, but even mile on track. Just fantastic grip.) Good luck.

Got rid of them in the end because I found I was getting injured but more from pushing too hard and lack of discipline - can't blame the shoes! :-) G
Jun 2022
3:01pm, 3 Jun 2022
19,909 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Start Fitness and SportsShoes usually have bargains depending on what size you are after. I wouldn't advise sprint spikes (the ones with no heel at all - they're as flat as ballet shoes).

My heptathlon coach reckons MD spikes are best for jumps and that I should save my sprint spikes for sprints and hurdles. MD spikes for jav too.
SPR
Jun 2022
3:02pm, 3 Jun 2022
36,934 posts
  •  
SPR
Sharkie gives good advice, the one caveat I'd say is MD spikes are more aggressive than XC spikes and LD spike would be closer. I use LD spikes for MD due to this. Given you're jumping as well though, MD spikes seem like the ideal choice. You could use your XC spikes but they are usually heavier and a bit bulkier so you might want a more streamline shoe.
Jun 2022
3:05pm, 3 Jun 2022
19,910 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Ah, nice one SPR! I thought about LD spikes too. They'd be fine for Louise's purposes.

Do XC spikes have long pins? 6mm is the max for T&F.
SPR
Jun 2022
3:12pm, 3 Jun 2022
36,935 posts
  •  
SPR
I've never seen an XC spike actually come with 9mm or longer pins which is odd, but yes normally we'd buy longer pins. Can change them for 6mm though and should have a set to use of they came with 6mm.
Jun 2022
1:52pm, 6 Jun 2022
432 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
A lot to think about there, thanks both!
Sep 2023
1:38pm, 17 Sep 2023
238 posts
  •  
Old Mum
Refreshing this rather than creating more threads asking the same questions.

Looking to replace my now "comfy trainers". The support has gone out of them completely and they're now only good for dog walking. I've nearly always run in Asics, neutral, Sz6 and found them very comfortable and forgiving of my dreadful gait. I also like the generous toe box, because I have a bunion on the right foot, which I'm prone to be heavy on when I tire.

Don't want to spend a fortune because my running now is "gonnae tak yer granny a walk?" rather than anything verging on impressive (which I never was anyway). Your universal knowledge and advice is very welcome.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

I have 'road shoes', I have 'trail shoes', I have 'cross country spikes', but now I'm looking at shoes for athletics (Vets League, not expecting miracle performances or anything). I like to take part in high jump, long jump, 3000m track, and sometimes the 100/200m relay. Normally I just wear my road shoes, but I've been thinking for a while I should look into 'athletics' type shoes - any suggestions? Thanks!