Shoes (again!) - recommendations for long and rocky

8 watchers
Jun 2013
11:19am, 12 Jun 2013
20,388 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry to start yet another thread on a topic that's probably been covered a million times and to which the answer will prob be "everyone is different and depends what suits you" but... here goes...

Looking for a recommendation for long (well, longish, for some people this is only half race distance!) 40 - 50 miles on rocky surface (very rocky. It's the West Highland Way and the Altnafeadh to Kinlochleven and KLL to Fort William (Lairig Mor) - the rocks are spiky!

I know lots of people do it in road shoes, good ol Inov-8 Roclites etc. However, seemed to have two areas of sensitivity: spikiness through sole of shoe and bashing on toes. I never got on with my Roclites (gave them away). I tend to run almost everything in Inov-8 F-lites. These are like slippers. Thin sole and lightweight mesh upper (some plastic around toe, but not much). Prob not that surprising that I got sore toes and sole then?!

So, something a bit tougher, that will protect my feet. Roclite 315 would be ideal, as they are pretty solid. But for some reason, the hard toe area actually hurt my toes, even if I was just running down the road.

I'm not bothered about cushioning (as I seem to have survived the last 4 or 5 years with uncushioned shoes). And I'm not bothered about the road bits or slippy bits or needing grip or anything else. More just want to make sure that when out there for 8-10 hours my feet aren't mashed by shoes and rocks combo!

Maybe it's nothing to do with shoes - maybe thicker, solider socks (I've got some really thick SealSkinz which are brill in the winter when I'm doing off road and seem to add cushioning and protection round my toes). What about taping? I've seen some folk with their toes all bandaged and taped up. Is that a way to go?

And to answer my own question, I'll prob just have to experiment and find what is right for me, yeah? Hmmm... any advice gratefully received. :-)G
Jun 2013
11:30am, 12 Jun 2013
595 posts
  •  
mushroom
Is there a bus..?? ;-)
Jun 2013
11:35am, 12 Jun 2013
20,389 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol. Let's not do the "why?" That's a very long and involved q&a! I've commited to it, I now need to get a bit of help with the "how?" please! :-)G
Jun 2013
1:22pm, 12 Jun 2013
20,390 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Maybe this should be specifically in a WHW thread? Or an ultra thread?
Jun 2013
1:31pm, 12 Jun 2013
556 posts
  •  
Craig_
For rocky terrain, I find it's the sole plate that is the useful bit - as normal road trainers are just too soft the sharp rocks usually cause pressure points leading to blisters.

Have you looked at the Salomon - Speedcross 2/3 or the tougher, heavier XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX? These are quite popular.
Jun 2013
2:33pm, 12 Jun 2013
20,391 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Craig - clubmates swear by the Speedcross. Haven't seen the XA Pro 3D.

I've got a bit of a weird sittyayshun, of being used to minimalist drop (3mm or max 6mm) shoes so anything with a big heel looks (and then feels) weird. But I might need to get used to chunky shoes again for toe-bashing off road, rocky stuff.

Keep the suggestions coming people (please!) :-)G
Jun 2013
2:40pm, 12 Jun 2013
5,537 posts
  •  
flip
Mizzuno wave harrier every time for me HG
Jun 2013
2:44pm, 12 Jun 2013
1,406 posts
  •  
clairster
a larger size of roclite? or have you seen the new designs..they look to be much softer and much more like the flites. I defected and got some asics fuji..which are great but dont fit your foot as good as roclites..but I could have got the wrong size and maybe half a size smaller would have been good. I swear by roclite 295s for rocky stuff..the fujis were very good though, solid sole and soft upper..they just failed at the enveloping my foot/extreme rocky terrain test..but that could have been a size issue..I think with roadies you can cope with a bit more freedom in the shoe, off roadies you cant! so i bought my regular roadie size without thinking...
Jun 2013
2:47pm, 12 Jun 2013
20,392 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Clairster - that's a good point. Actually 2! I may have got slightly too small (I go bigger now on my Inov-8s, even the F-lites. I'm on my 6th or 7th pair, I think.) Also, new Roclites do look different. Softer. Maybe I should try some.

I don't tie my road shoes up at all, or not properly. I just slip into them. Long on road = loose as you like. But you're right, off road, you need to be done up tight so you don't slide around, esp not forwards. So generous space around toe box, but done up tightly, might be the answer. Need to experiment a bit more maybe. :-)G
Jun 2013
2:47pm, 12 Jun 2013
557 posts
  •  
Craig_
I think these are Salomon's flatter/minimalist trail shoes - castlebergoutdoors.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Sorry to start yet another thread on a topic that's probably been covered a million times and to wh...