2,927 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Nov 2013
2:24pm, 16 Nov 2013
4 posts
  •  
HowHardCanItBe
I always wear spikes on an all grass/trail course. I feel I get better traction than my studded shoes. Studs also tend to get clogged on a really muddy course and you can end up carrying half a field round on your feet. Off-road shoes are often the better option for a mixed surface, especially if it's stony or with bits of tarmac.
Some people wear spikes without socks as they're less likely to get sucked off your feet in the gloopy stuff, plus socks can get really wet and bunched up (and destined never to be clean again). You may want to consider that when you're trying on sizes, and check them without socks if you think you might be going naked.
Mar 2021
9:13pm, 11 Mar 2021
13,773 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I just knew there would be a thread!

I’ve not done xc since joining running club a number of years ago but intend too when it’s allowed again.

So I’m doing some shopping at start fitness as there is some mega bargains one of which is some xc spikes still unsure if I need them or if the sizing will be ok at 1/2 size up May go a full size based on comments (as a girl differing with a bunion) I can always return them or give them away for the crazy price (£7!!!)
Dec 2022
3:47pm, 4 Dec 2022
4,457 posts
  •  
Kieren
How long do you guys get out of spikes ?the shoes not the actual spike)?

I had one bent spike / tilted socket but with work I could still fit it in. Yesterdays curve has a river, mud, grass, some gravel and pretty much all 12mm spikes are bent. Not sure about the sockets - just cleaning the mud now.
5 Jan
11:30am, 5 Jan 2024
11,970 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
My club has just joined the local xc league so I’m considering giving it a go.

My road shoes are adidas so I’m looking at this brand first and I have a couple of questions. Are xc spikes and track & field spikes pretty much the same thing? Do the shoes normally come with spikes or do I need to buy them separately?
5 Jan
1:23pm, 5 Jan 2024
36,926 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
They will come with standard size but you will possibly need 10/12 mm in this weather
5 Jan
1:59pm, 5 Jan 2024
11,977 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Ok thanks!
5 Jan
2:14pm, 5 Jan 2024
6,021 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Track spikes, even long distance ones with a bit more cushioning under the heel, tend to have little in the way of tread on the heel portion, as you don't need grip on a track.

XC spikes should have some tread, ie little lugs, on the rear portion to help with grip, especially when going downhill as you will be landing initially on your heel until your foot rolls thru onto the forefoot and the spikes bite. Lack of grip in the heel can cause slips/falls descending wet grassy banks, etc
5 Jan
2:18pm, 5 Jan 2024
22,911 posts
  •  
larkim
I've found that the lack of heel tread doesn't really cause any issues - even on steep grassy / muddy downslopes the spikes grip first (and that's with me as a heel-striker using track LD spikes to race XC in). Of course, that might just be very personal to way I run.
5 Jan
2:26pm, 5 Jan 2024
6,023 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've had a few slips over the years. I now find fell shoes, something like Inov8 X-Talon 212 with 8mm lugs all over the outsole, a lot more confidence giving, for minimal weight penalty.
As you say, all very personal though, you see one or two folk plodding round in road shoes !!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by iPaul
Now its been 10 years since I ran a proper cros country race - but since I joined a club recently I...