Cross Country Spikes

6 watchers
Oct 2011
7:15pm, 12 Oct 2011
443 posts
  •  
iPaul
Now its been 10 years since I ran a proper cros country race - but since I joined a club recently I'm looking forward to a bit of muck and bullets.

My spikes are about 11 years old but hardly worn - I love my inov8s though for off road-running.

So a question. Does anyone still run in traditional cross-country spikes or do you run in modern off-road shoes?

For those who run with spikes - what size spikes ?
Oct 2011
7:30pm, 12 Oct 2011
1,885 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
I love inov8s but for real XC I much prefer spikes - though I suspect many on her will disagree with me. I love running in spikes - the feeling of contact with the ground, emphasis on forefoot and feeling light on my feet.

Size of spike depends entirely on conditions...
Oct 2011
7:51pm, 12 Oct 2011
245 posts
  •  
Mrs mjb
IPaul - I was in the same boat and took the plunge last year and bought spikes (I also think Inov8 are the greatest shoe brand to have run on this earth). I used the spikes a few times off road and a couple of times on the track this summer, but, put them to proper XC use on Saturday and it is so good to be back in spikes. As tom says they just feel great when on.

9mm spikes should cope with most conditions, but, 12s for real mud. (dont think they do the 18s like we used to have 25 years ago any more.
Oct 2011
8:01pm, 12 Oct 2011
444 posts
  •  
iPaul
Thanks guys - agree about the inov8s. From memory though, never could tell much difference between 6 and 12mm spikes. However, having got my shoes out of the box (yes, I still have them in the original box) I have 12mm spikes with a 9mm on the instep, under the ball of my foot.
Nov 2012
2:41pm, 7 Nov 2012
441 posts
  •  
Brian G
Quick question on subject of cross country spikes, I need to get some cross country spikes for a cross country race on Saturday.

When I by my usual road running trainers I by a half size larger than I do for normal shoes. Does the same theory apply to cross country spikes?????

Thanks
Brian
Nov 2012
3:03pm, 7 Nov 2012
2,530 posts
  •  
Kimbles
Some say a half size bigger, full size bigger or snug fit. I think it really comes down to how you feel in them when you try them on. Mine are a half size bigger but they feel snug on the foot. I know others in my club go for a full size bigger.
Nov 2012
3:04pm, 7 Nov 2012
63,637 posts
  •  
GregP
I wear the same size spikes (Killkenney(sp?)) as I do regular shoes by the same manufacturer (Saucony) - they are snug but then they are meant to be.
Nov 2012
4:29pm, 7 Nov 2012
442 posts
  •  
Brian G
ta
Nov 2013
1:50pm, 16 Nov 2013
2,924 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I am looking at spikes by New Balance - as I love their road shoes - as a beginner at x-country I have 2 questions - one - re size is sort of answered above, but I just wanted to clarify! I am a size 7 in normal shoes, wear an 8 or 8.5 in running shoes as I like some room around my toes - do I stick to this for spikes or am I better off in right size (I don't think NB do half sizes in spikes - haven't seen any anyway); secondly, do you get spikes for each specific manufacturer or are there generic ones that fit most shoes?
Nov 2013
1:53pm, 16 Nov 2013
2,172 posts
  •  
Curly45
Spikes fit all shoes that I know of.
I had to go size 8 in spikes, am 7 in trainers. They are often narrow in the toe box. I would always recommend going to try on your first pair.

About This Thread

Maintained by iPaul
Now its been 10 years since I ran a proper cros country race - but since I joined a club recently I...