Falling Over Watch - have you got falling over?

24 watchers
Sep 2021
8:25am, 30 Sep 2021
2,491 posts
  •  
Fitz
They say you can’t do anything to improve your fitness in the last week before a marathon but you can do plenty of things to reduce it. Like going arse over tit on an easy run, scuffing limbs and bruising soft bits.

Luckily I’m still just the right side of the line where “having a fall” might lead to a fractured hip… but it’s only a matter of time.

Sep 2021
8:36am, 30 Sep 2021
6,951 posts
  •  
minardi
At least you have your sock on the right foot! Hope it doesn't sting too much
Sep 2021
8:49pm, 30 Sep 2021
12,675 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Ouch, heal quickly.
Feb 2022
8:36pm, 22 Feb 2022
5,443 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Stacked it on my run this evening. Tripped over an uneven paving stone. On the way down I noticed a grass verge out the corner of my eye so I aimed for it. Hands got stung on the paving (was wearing gloves) but shoulder and hip landed on the grass so no damage done!
Feb 2022
8:49pm, 22 Feb 2022
13,446 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Top work on the grass landing. Glad you aren’t hurt.
Feb 2022
9:46pm, 22 Feb 2022
5,434 posts
  •  
quimby
Wow, thinking on the way down! Excellent work.
Feb 2022
10:02pm, 22 Feb 2022
5,446 posts
  •  
Pothunter
It was a soft enough landing that my Garmin didn’t even register it as a fall :-)
Feb 2022
10:10pm, 22 Feb 2022
54,465 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Ouch PH, sounds like a lucky landing.
Feb 2022
12:40pm, 23 Feb 2022
201 posts
  •  
nme2no1
I was almost two years in to my short running career before I had a tree root episode, and there have been other falls since. All at parkruns, so far. And only brief hindrances, fortunately. Nothing for four months though (jinxed it now, of course).

June 2019. Normanby Hall parkrun, roughly 7 minute mile pace, momentary flight, bit of a tumble, hand up from a passing runner, launched back in to 5k mode, fist bump from another runner, and on to the finish. Minimal injury, due to soft woodland floor. Little elbow scuff, iirc.

July 2021. Bestwood Village parkrun. Tree root again. Slightly slower, but similar effect. Lady behind me said it looked very natural! I do recall a tiny bit more elbow blood that time, and a troublesome right wrist for a spell, from the outstretched hand thing. The fall slowed me less than the steep incline that preceded it.

October 2021. Scunthorpe parkrun. Returning to the park from the roadside section, trying to bypass a cluster of other runners. Didn't spot the solid wooden post until the last second. Emergency manoeuvre put me off balance, and I just didn't manage to catch it. I think I did direct the worst of the impact on to grass rather than tarmac though. Back up and running shortly after.
Feb 2022
11:47pm, 23 Feb 2022
8,500 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Pain
Tripped on a section of pavement I've negotiated many times a couple of weeks ago. Horrible night with wind and rain, and poorly lit by the streetlights. Just assumed I'd stupidly caught the kerb on the edge of a grassed area, got up and ran on. Back in daylight the other day I see I fell over the corner of a very solid, heavy section of temporary fencing lying horizontally on the grass with a big corner on the pavement. I'll be less trusting of shadowy pavements in future!

About This Thread

Maintained by chunkywizard
I feel over a tree root on my run today about 1km in. My arm hurts.

CW