BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

19 watchers
7 May
8:45am, 7 May 2021
20917 posts
ChrisHB
Why a football competition named a "League" should have a "Final".

(Europa League; I know I could ask Wikipedia but I'm not that interested)
10 May
11:54am, 10 May 2021
8565 posts
GordonG
Why anything that Katie Price says or does is deemed to be worthy enough to make tabloid headlines.
10 May
12:23pm, 10 May 2021
7689 posts
The Great Raemondo
Going back to the egg thing - maybe check the origin of whatever was recommending storing eggs in the fridge - I believe the way Americans wash theirs in an attempt to disguise the inhumane and unsanitary conditions in which they keep their chickens does something to the the shell, which means they'll go bad much more quickly if not refrigerated.

This also explains why many Americans have more paranoia about raw egg - the chances that the chickens have salmonella are much higher there.
10 May
7:28pm, 10 May 2021
20926 posts
ChrisHB
What do your egg boxes say, Rae? Mine say "Keep refrigerated after purchase" - that's Sainsbury's organic eggs and some else's.

--

Wikipedia says "Careful storage of edible eggs is extremely important, as an improperly handled egg may contain elevated levels of Salmonella bacteria that may cause severe food poisoning. In the US, eggs are washed. This cleans the shell, but erodes its cuticle.[39][40] The USDA thus recommends refrigerating eggs to prevent the growth of Salmonella.[25]

Refrigeration also preserves the taste and texture, however, intact eggs (unwashed and unbroken) may be left unrefrigerated for several months without spoiling.[41] In Europe, eggs are not usually washed, and the shells are dirtier, however the cuticle is undamaged, and they do not require refrigeration.[40] In the UK in particular, hens are immunized against salmonella and generally, their eggs are safe for 21 days.[40]"
10 May
7:34pm, 10 May 2021
7691 posts
The Great Raemondo
Honestly no idea what the boxes say, Chris, I'll have to have a look...
10 May
7:48pm, 10 May 2021
21039 posts
Rosehip
my eggs come in unlabelled boxes from the farm over the green, they live in the cupboard.

I was taught that refrigerating eggs makes the shells more porous 9in the same way washing them does) and thus exposed to air - and they pick up smells and flavours from the fridge
10 May
9:09pm, 10 May 2021
24976 posts
Lizzie Whizz
Me too, Rosehip.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?

Close