Ultra training for beginners

169 watchers
Nov 2022
9:12pm, 5 Nov 2022
19,086 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I must be honest any run the first 20min I feel, this went straight up and vast majority were mountain goats and away, I was hot as despite the rain it wasn’t cold and I stressed I was at the back. It doesn’t help. I did settle after I got the sleeves off and we had a break around the 20min mark.

Maybe more practice on early climbing then. Thanks both.
Nov 2022
9:16pm, 5 Nov 2022
708 posts
  •  
OverTheHillToo
Unwritten golden rule #1, never compare one selve to other's, play your own game.

I love parkrun when those that start at finish pace - x would be better served by starting at finish pace + y.

In most occasions it is not possible to bank time. Chill.
Nov 2022
9:21pm, 5 Nov 2022
19,087 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I think it was being in a strong group of runners and feeling guilty slowing others up - mad as I wasn’t the only one

Thanks again.
Nov 2022
9:24pm, 5 Nov 2022
712 posts
  •  
OverTheHillToo
geordiegirl I know of loads of runner that have been at this game for decades that still start races like being chased by a pack of lions. It is probably counter-intuitive to ignore others and play your own game. However, I can safely say, I've never had a decent result when I've gone out of the traps at pace.
Nov 2022
6:37am, 6 Nov 2022
10,327 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I’m like you GG. Even if I’m running with people of a similar ability to me, I usually find I’m dropping back on any sort of uphill. It’s not like I haven’t had plenty of practice on hills.
Nov 2022
8:19am, 6 Nov 2022
19,088 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
That’s frustrating FDNB I find after the first I’m ok. Last week was no time to warm up but lakes we did, although I did have a chest infection when I got back. I’ll just work on general fitness
Nov 2022
9:30am, 6 Nov 2022
17,584 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I’m rubbish on climbs so have to make it back in other areas. I’m an excellent downhill runner and very quick in the aid stations.

I practice downhill running just as much as climbing with lots of technical descents rather than running the climbs in training and walking back down.

I make sure I keep to my own pace on climbs rather than the pace of everyone around me and regularly steep off to the side in races to left folks past. I have a screen which gives me climbing rate so try to keep that on 2-2,500ft an hour - that is my standard pace

For the record I’ve finished 3 big mountain ultras in the last 18 months despite being one of the worst climbers at each race
Nov 2022
4:12pm, 6 Nov 2022
44,521 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Gg glad you enjoyed Glencoe ultra camp. :-) G
Nov 2022
4:42pm, 6 Nov 2022
19,091 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thank you all and Dave if you can acknowledge you’re not the strongest climber then I will stop stressing thank you for your honesty and sharing. Now to ace downhill running as on that my lungs work but my brain tells me falling will hurt.
Nov 2022
4:45pm, 6 Nov 2022
2,696 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Not many folk run up hills for lengthy periods, most do a walk/run strategy.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...