•  
Shoddy
*movements* d’oh
Mar 2019
3:50pm, 3 Mar 2019
1,417 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
My view is that a dynamic warm-up is perfect. If new to running you need to ingrain good technique as opposed to muscling your way. So the dynamic warm-up should mimic good technique and also the running form. However it is essential that the coach heavily emphasizes that it is not a race to get it done. Take as long as the person likes but doing it right is of primary concern.
Mar 2019
3:52pm, 3 Mar 2019
13,395 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hi Shoddy - with our complete beginners all we do for the first few weeks are mobility movements - so from ankles up, rotations (slow and careful), then feet together, knees together, hands on bent knees and rotate. Then hip circles, then some slow spine twists and shoulder rotations. We then use the 5 minute walk in the C25k as the warm-up - brisk pace, swing the arms. From about week 6 we start doing a slightly more active warm-up with some light jogging on the spot and some hokey-cokey runs in and out of a circle - that kind of thing.
Mar 2019
4:14pm, 3 Mar 2019
14,434 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Hurrah Fenners and AL echo what I thought, but as neither a coach nor a distance runner I didn't want to suggest anything inappropriate!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shoddy
Starting a couch to 5k group for people at work and need a warm up routine that is easy, simple and ...