Not aching, should I run again (only day 2)

1 watcher
Jan 2017
10:22am, 18 Jan 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
/skn
Yesterday a very out of shape 44 year old donned his trail running shoes for the very first time and managed an epic 1.4 miles of running/walking (no crawling yet) on mostly cattle grazed grass. It was generally pretty wet, but the fields are on flint so not too tough (started on a ploughed field and promptly changed my mind).

Today I feel ok, not aching (it wasn't exactly a marathon!), so should I run again if I have the motivation? It would likely be a similar distance which will probably take me half the day. The ground is frozen solid out there.
Jan 2017
10:41am, 18 Jan 2017
35,327 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Welcome! By all means run again today - get it done now before you do start to ache ;)
Jan 2017
10:43am, 18 Jan 2017
1,537 posts
  •  
westmoors
If you've got the motivation....go for it!
Jan 2017
10:44am, 18 Jan 2017
10,125 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hi - and welcome to Fetch. I coach beginners regularly through the NHS Couch to 5k programme - it's great that you've started and feel good, but the advice is not to do consecutive days when you first start out, even when you are starting quite gently. Building up gradually and allowing yourself rest days is important in avoiding injury. Why not take yourself for a walk instead if you're feeling impatient?
Jan 2017
10:58am, 18 Jan 2017
13,718 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Wecome /skn. Great to hear that you are raring to go. I wouldn't advise anyone to overdo things at the start. Taking things easy gives your body the chance to get used to new activity. But as you can see from the responses, you have two saying yay and two saying nay....................

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by /skn
Yesterday a very out of shape 44 year old donned his trail running shoes for the very first time and...