Ultra training for beginners

169 watchers
Nov 2013
2:06pm, 21 Nov 2013
400 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training ideas.

In particular, my next long event isn't until April. Should I be looking to build miles now, or should I settle at (say) 120 - 140 miles a month until after the worst of the winter? I've not had an especially good year for mileage, and have only recently moved up to about 30 some miles a week.

I'm not particularly disciplined at training, and want to continue cycling and seriously increase my swimming miles at the same time.

All suggestions welcomed.
Nov 2013
10:01pm, 21 Nov 2013
139 posts
  •  
SunnyDevon
ultramarathonrunning.com

This is a good place to start....lots of good info.
Nov 2013
11:20pm, 21 Nov 2013
401 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Thanks Sunny. That lot should keep me busy for a while.
Nov 2013
9:25am, 22 Nov 2013
423 posts
  •  
roadrunner1957
SunnyDevon, hi! Have just looked at that link www.ultramarathonrunning.com and have downloaded the 50 mile schedule. I am doing the St. Peters Way 45 mile on 02.03.2013 eeeeeeek, better get my arse in gear. Training schedule does not look too bad will just do a few tweaks and work out what week I am on. Looks like I am starting week 7 Monday. ;)
Nov 2013
1:17pm, 22 Nov 2013
8,220 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
jacdaw, time on your feet is everything. If it's your first ultra and you're not too bothered about a time just get out as much as you can. Medium - long runs on BOTH Sat and Sun suit me. Long run at weekend generally becomes maybe even more important than when training for marathon or shorter. I'd look at doing one or two say 20 to 25 mile events as dress-rehearsals before the main event :-)
Nov 2013
1:54pm, 22 Nov 2013
140 posts
  •  
SunnyDevon
Echo what DT says. Also using the long runs to find out what food you get on with is useful. Eating is a vital part of Ultras :) The thread on Ultramarathons has loads of links and stuff too.
Nov 2013
2:33pm, 22 Nov 2013
1,352 posts
  •  
jog-on
plus one for DT

I did my first Ultra this year and my main aim in training was just logging miles. I adopted the HADD method of training and it worked very well for me allowing me to increase my mileage without getting injured / burned out. Doing back to back runs is a good idea as it gives you an idea of what its like running on tired legs. I didnt fuel on amy of the long runs just relying on water to get my body working more efficiently and again this worked well. I did one 30 miler "test run" just to see what it was like running for that kind of time, I wore all the kit I intended to wear, ran off road to test navigating and fuelled as Id planned to during the race. That way anything that was not going to work would rear its ugly head and I had time to sort it.

The Ultra Marathon Running Site is a great place for advice - the owner was very helpful with my backpack decision. His advice was absoloutely spot on :)
Nov 2013
2:47pm, 22 Nov 2013
402 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Thanks for the suggestions. I find the Ultra thread a bit daunting!

We did the Lakeland 50 this year, slowly and comfortably (although, how Mrs JD was comfortable in BareGrips I'll never know), but looking back I realise we hardly did any training. As I said we have a couple of things lined up for next year, and thought with a bit more focussed training we might be a bit quicker. I'm not looking at specific times, other than finishing within any cut-offs.

What is the single maximum distance you'd do before a 50 mile event? I was thinking 32 or so; or are back to back 20s better than a single 30? Or should I be training in hours and not miles? I'm already planning to include a couple of events in my training - Keswick - Buttermere (21 miles road race) in Feb, and an off-road 26 miler in early April, before the Fling at the end of April.

Sorry, too many questions.

At least I'm already quite good at eating :)
Nov 2013
2:59pm, 22 Nov 2013
8,222 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Cpme down and do the Howarth Hobble in March. 33miles-ish and largely runnable. Back to back 20s (if you mean back-to-back days) would be very hard. I'd perhaps be looking to mix up some say 2 x 10 to 20 mile weekends with some 23 to 30 miler one long-runners. LDWA challenge events are great fun and a good opportunity to enjoy your long outings
Nov 2013
3:13pm, 22 Nov 2013
403 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Haworth Hobble looks good, but I guess the weather can make things interesting in March?

And thanks Jog-on, I was replying to the others while you were posting.

About This Thread

Maintained by jacdaw
I'm planning to run a couple of ultra events next year and I'm looking for some general training i...