1 watcher
b8s
May 2015
10:38pm, 7 May 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
b8s
Hi

I've recently started running and am really enjoying it. I already do a fair amount of cycling and yoga, so am in reasonably good shape. I've seen a lot of training programs that are aimed at getting people from 'couch to 5k'. My question really is does anyone have any advice for someone who is already reasonably fit but is completely new to running? As I felt like I was doing quite well, but during and after my last few runs I've experienced pains in my knees and ankles, even though I feel physically fit enough to be running.
I'm guessing I may have been overdoing it a bit as though I'm in good shape I guess I'm using different muscles than I was before and also getting used to an activity that is more stressful on the joints than, say, cycling.
I'm going to take a break for a few days until my knees and ankles feel better, but do you think my body is just getting used to running, or am I doing serious damage to myself? I really don't want to make it worse!

Thanks! :)
May 2015
10:46pm, 7 May 2015
25,794 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Probably just getting used to an impact type exercise - build up slowly and should get used to the impact.

Weclome to Fetch
May 2015
10:46pm, 7 May 2015
5,728 posts
  •  
Duchess
Welcome to Fetch! And welcome to running.

Wiser heads than me will answer but here's my thoughts. If you're new to running and suddenly start running daily, you've a good chance of hurting yourself for exactly the same reasons given. Rest days are your friend (rest days being non running days in your case, rather than non exercise days). Also what shoes are you wearing? Has anyone looked at your gait and shoes together to check that you're not running in a way that's overstraining your joints/muscles?
May 2015
10:50pm, 7 May 2015
15,800 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
When I started running I was already quite fit by most standards being a regular hill-walker and mountain-biker. I could easily run say 30 or 40 mins within days of starting. However I suffered what seemed like an endless stream of niggles almost straight away. Being fit is one thing; being "running fit" is quite another. I'd suggest you don't get carried away and keep up your interest in other activities as you steadily build up your running mileage. Good luck and welcome to Fetch btw! :-)
May 2015
11:02pm, 7 May 2015
10,068 posts
  •  
Dvorak
My thought is that you have been running too fast. Nearly every beginner runner does that. However, you maybe have the "disadvantage" of a much higher level of aerobic fitness than most beginners. They are generally therefore self-limiting as they have to stop when red-faced and panting.

I suspect that you however, maybe after the first couple of runs, found that you could run on quite comfortably. So you may well be combining "too fast" and "too far". As said, there is the impact factor but I reckon even more that you are probably running ahead of adaptation in muscles and tendons. So yes, a few days off, rest days, cut back the pace/distance for a bit.

To address your final point, you've probably not done serious damage, but there is certainly the potential for that. Unlikely to be irreversible, very likely to put you off running.

Welcome to Fetch :-)
May 2015
11:25pm, 7 May 2015
10,069 posts
  •  
Dvorak
(I take ages typing, I'd actually started that before Derby Tup's post ;-) duck)
May 2015
11:30pm, 7 May 2015
21,056 posts
  •  
Fleece and Dust
Perhaps you could follow the couch 2 5k spirit as in run 3 times a week and build up distance slowly, but without the walking? Your body does need time to adapt, and it's easy to get carried away!
b8s
May 2015
6:36am, 8 May 2015
2 posts
  •  
b8s
Hi everyone thanks for all the advice, much appreciated! You've confirmed what I thought already, so I feel much more reassured, and after a day or two off I will go back to building up my running times and distance slowly as suggested.
Derby Tup that's exactly what happened to me here, I feel quite able to run but it's brought out lots of little niggles!
I've been wearing proper running shoes, but haven't had my gait assessed, so that's definitely something to consider as well.
Thanks everyone.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by b8s
Hi

I've recently started running and am really enjoying it. I already do a fair amount of cyclin...