•  
geordiegirl
#on her majesty's slippery surface not service bliddy phone
Feb 2021
9:56pm, 8 Feb 2021
4,359 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Dont see it on the map at the moment, but as this is a running site, then a mention for Sir Snow Farah usually in the Borders somewhere :-)
Feb 2021
10:00pm, 8 Feb 2021
19,667 posts
  •  
flanker
This is brilliant. Maybe James could rent out the OT trackers to the English gritters to give us some more dots to watch :)
Feb 2021
1:14pm, 9 Feb 2021
345 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
Some up-and-coming FREE England Athletics webinars that I am hosting:

25th Feb @ 6PM: Prof. Andy Lane discusses the application of sports psychology in the field of ultra running:
englandathletics-org.zoom.us

22nd Mar @ 6PM: Q&A with Hoke One One athlete, and LEJOG world record holder Carla Molinaro. We will be discussing training for multi-day ultra races, her LEJOG world record, her recent 100km race, and managing the ups and downs of being an ultra runner. englandathletics-org.zoom.us

12th Apr @ 6PM: Alex Hutchinson Ph.D. author of Endure talks "The Curiously Elastic Limits of Endurance"

englandathletics-org.zoom.us
Feb 2021
8:47pm, 9 Feb 2021
45,999 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Ooh fabulous, thank you!
Feb 2021
10:46am, 12 Feb 2021
358 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
For those at the sharper end of ultra running. The IAU have just released their Championships timetable for 2021 thru 2024 (see link below).

iau-ultramarathon.org
Feb 2021
9:14am, 15 Feb 2021
2,160 posts
  •  
Paul N
Would anyone have thoughts on leveraging off a marathon training block into a 100k race?

At a high level.
- Likely (hopefully) a 7 week gap between marathon (mid April) and ultra (end May).
- Currently following the P&D 18 week marathon schedule (55 - 70 mile, with a few bonus miles instead of a rest day).

-Marathon target would be c.3.05 - 3.10. 100k target would be sub 9.30
-Last ultra distance was 52mile in 9h at the end of August. This wasn't raced - had a bit in the tank and it was a relatively, but not excessively, rolling course.
-Average mileage for the last three months has been about 70 per week. 365 mileage is 3.1k.

The Ultra (1.75m loop, tarmac, relatively flat), is being pitched as a "selection pathway" for the Anglo Celt. NIs desired 100k time for 2020 was 9h 30. Which appears very doable compared to the marathon and 50k criteria times.

I doubt a 9h 30 100k in itself is enough for a vest, but it would be nice to hit the selection criteria if it remains the same. At the minute 9 minute mile pace would be low - Z2 for me, so it seems a realistic target. Though I might be wanting for long days on my feet, last +6h day was in the mountains the week before Christmas.

My thinking for between races would be
1 recovery week post Marathon.
5 weeks of little more than high volume Z1 / Z2 work. Maybe 1x 50k training run and 1x 35k/35k back to back weekend as key workouts.
1 week taper.

Any and all feedback appreciated!
Feb 2021
9:31am, 15 Feb 2021
2,507 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Paul I would have thought that is possible. The difficult bit I think is managing the balance of recovery and stimulus between the two so you're recovered but your body hasn't decided it's all over. The pacing doesn't seem unreasonable either. I ran 10.35 in the Kielder 100k (off road, moderately hilly (6000ft of climb) and largely solo) a couple of years ago and if I was to target a marathon I would be looking around the 3 hour mark, so 9.30 on a flat looped tarmac course would seem a fair target. It will largely come down to how well you convert? My diesel engine will just keep going once it's primed but not everyone is the same.
Feb 2021
9:47am, 15 Feb 2021
2,161 posts
  •  
Paul N
Thanks FF.

I "should" convert OK. The 52 miler last year was off zero specific Ultra work, just a summer of good mileage - I PBed a 10k two weeks before.

It was almost entirely run solo, when I was running with someone it was slightly detrimental as the guy was walking sections. Bar a couple of miles which were broken up with an element of walking and a feed stop at half way all miles were firmly between 9.30 and 10.30 pace, which would have been the pre race target. Last two miles were the quickest of the day, even managed a sub 9mm sprint finish!

Since then I have had a lot of aerobic running banked, which wouldn't necessarily have been a consideration prior to last summer.
Feb 2021
10:03am, 15 Feb 2021
51,494 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Paul, I suspect that if anyone on here can, you can. You are one of the most understatedly talented endurance athletes I've encountered and seem to have a phenomenal ability to maintain high mileage at a good pace day after day and to recover from individual long efforts.

Your plan looks sound to me; others are better placed to advise on optimisation.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.