Ultra Marathons

456 watchers
Feb 2021
6:12pm, 2 Feb 2021
6 posts
  •  
aussiescall
Anyone done the UTMB? And know how to do it on the cheap (ish)? I realise this maybe being optimistic given where it is. I mean I'm doubtful it'll happen but I've got a place in the CCC through the lottery that I can't really turn down. Thinking of flying in and out of Geneva doing a hostel/Airbnb/tent!
Feb 2021
6:36pm, 2 Feb 2021
13,901 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Nice. I had a 2020 UTMB spot but have rolled it to 2022 hopefully...

I used to stay as a kid in Chamonix at Les Houches camping Les deux glacier. tripadvisor.co.uk

It is a short bus ride away from chamonix and should be cheap. Minibus shares to and from Geneva are reasonable such as mountain drop offs.
Feb 2021
6:52pm, 2 Feb 2021
7,332 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Mountain Drop Offs are ace. 100% reliable.
Feb 2021
6:59pm, 2 Feb 2021
13,902 posts
  •  
NDWDave
The different operators also help each other out so if your flight is delayed (or someone else’s) they will trade seats so you don’t wait all day at the airport or get stuck there without a lift
Feb 2021
8:05pm, 2 Feb 2021
571 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
Aussiecalls- I took a tent in my hold luggage in 2019 and camped in Chamonix. I found I couldn’t book a pitch in advance which added to the excitement. I could have shaved a bit with transfers but otherwise I don’t think it could have been cheaper, beers aside.
Feb 2021
8:33pm, 2 Feb 2021
13,903 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I stayed on my parents fold out bed. They had a room in the grand hotel des alpes which you go past about 100m into the UTMB. It cost me a couple of dinners in rent but must have cost my parents a fortune.

I absolutely loved it and Chamonix is a special place. Can’t wait for 2022. Was tempted this year but don’t want covid hanging over it. But a choice of this year or not at all, I would be 100% going. I’m going to be very jealous come August
Feb 2021
11:11pm, 2 Feb 2021
572 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
I’m going to throw my 2 tickets into the ballot this week as I’d love to go back too. If no luck this year or next, C19 permitting, I’ll go out and do it self supported, outside of race week.
Feb 2021
7:29am, 3 Feb 2021
13,909 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Macca - that would probably be more enjoyable in many ways. The mountain huts are amazing. I DNFed at Elena on the way up Ferret. There are certainly worse places to be...
Feb 2021
8:00am, 3 Feb 2021
13,307 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I’m reading Rise of the ultra runners and trying not to wonder if I could do it 😂 just getting the points to enter would kill me off, it sounds incredible
Feb 2021
8:05am, 3 Feb 2021
443 posts
  •  
SteveC NordRunner
I got some of that feeling in the week before the Swiss Alpine in Davos. Fortunately for me that was «only» a marathon. You get the scenery of TMB if you do a tour as a six-day running holiday :) Chamonix is a great place to visit at any time.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.