Ultra Training for Numpties

7 watchers
Mar 2012
6:03pm, 7 Mar 2012
6,450 posts
  •  
Barky
I am thinking about doing my first Ultra in teh Autumn, the NoTTS 50k and was wondering how does the training plan alter/differ from that of a marathon? Any basic advice will be appreciated!
Ted
Mar 2012
6:18pm, 7 Mar 2012
10,996 posts
  •  
Ted
here you go Sir. ultramarathonrunning.com To you it is just a longer than marathon distance run at a slower pace and you eat on the way around :)
Mar 2012
7:38pm, 7 Mar 2012
1,163 posts
  •  
JaneyM
I am planning my first Ultra in August too Barky and Ted what you said above is what I had summarised from all that I have read, particularly the slow bit and the eating bit!!!!!! :)
Mar 2012
2:22pm, 10 Mar 2012
6,569 posts
  •  
(schnell)Schnecke
I must have a look at that as well, before my first Ultra in July, and then the JW in September. I've sort-of been assuming that I just need to do some double long runs at the weekend, and can forget about anything speedy for a while as it will all be nice and slow. Sounds good to me - and the bit about eating as well :-)
Mar 2012
4:09pm, 10 Mar 2012
3,642 posts
  •  
becca7
The bit about eating is what appeals to me to. Thanks for the link, very helpful. Mine is in June. :)
Mar 2012
4:15pm, 10 Mar 2012
809 posts
  •  
RicC
Did my first ultra (London) 3 weeks ago and the only thing I'd add to the above is that I tried to do a long run one day and a 10 miler or similar the next to get my body used to the longer distance.
Mar 2012
9:19pm, 11 Mar 2012
5,300 posts
  •  
Binks
Hi Barky. I think you should do a race that is as close to your name as possible :)

Anyhoo, there is loads of advice on teh ultra thread but if you want a great book to read I recommend Bryon Powells "Relentless Forward Progress" as a good start.
Mar 2012
6:57pm, 19 Mar 2012
1,478 posts
  •  
Garfield
Yes, that is a good book..I bought as I'll hopefully be doing my first ultra at the JW Ultra in Sept.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Barky
I am thinking about doing my first Ultra in the Autumn, the NoTTS 50k and was wondering how does the...