Advice sought on high mileage challenges

4 watchers
Jan 2017
5:12pm, 7 Jan 2017
406 posts
  •  
pedro
If I was you I would make sure you are putting plenty of time into stretching particularly before running & after too. I ran quite high mileage in 2014 & 2015 but then injured in 2016. I was still quite high but my overall mileage dropped. I put this down to neglecting stretching which at 44 at the end of the month I can longer get away with. Increase your mileage gradually to target weekly mileage. If your aim is total mileage over the two years I would run marathons but not race them. I would run ultras but again not race them and not do anything too long/hard. To succeed your emphasis needs to be consistently hitting the target weekly mileage without needing time out to taper/recover from races/events and to get there without injuring. Sounds a great challenge. All the very best :-)
Jan 2017
5:49pm, 7 Jan 2017
2,023 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Got any friends who are massage therapists ? Or can you afford regular ones ?

When I'm doing high mileage marathon training ( 50-70 mpw ) I find a regular sports massage ( at least once a month ) is very useful for keeping things in check.

Good luck with your challenge !!
Jan 2017
8:06pm, 7 Jan 2017
3,127 posts
  •  
Buzzard Sis
Thank you. I am really moving so much towards wanting to do it in a year. I am a writer by trade and I'd love to write the biography of William and his two transplants from my perspective as his mum mapped onto the journey to Florida and ending with the experience we had with our holiday of a lifetime, which also happens to coincide with him being in remission from a nasty post transplant complication it took him 2 years to beat and no other child had survived so the running journey is in parallel with my recollections if that makes sense. I am just sitting now working out what would be realistic, splitting runs into two so I don't do it all at once in a day and doing events but, as you say, running them not racing. The challenge is the aim, times don't matter. I just need to beat cut offs.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Buzzards Sis
Happy New Year everyone,
I've been running and back here since the summer but, as always, a lot ha...