Ultra Marathons

2 lurkers | 455 watchers
Feb 2021
8:08am, 3 Feb 2021
13,308 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I’m doing race to the castle in June they’ve shared this event with us thought I’d share Incase anyone would like to listen in too.

us02web.zoom.us
Feb 2021
8:52am, 3 Feb 2021
7,333 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
GG - I don't know so much nowadays, but several years back I think a lot of runners started the UTMB not having done that kind of distance before - I certainly hadn't :-) I guess what I'm saying is you don't know until you try.
Feb 2021
10:37am, 3 Feb 2021
13,310 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks NE 😃

I am a big believer of you have to push to see any you are capable of - I’ll start with 100k and keep pushing while I’m able.
Feb 2021
11:22am, 3 Feb 2021
7,334 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
My thoughts on the UTMB and its like are that it's the climb that can destroy you, I guess it's one of the reasons for it's high attrition rate - it's one of the reasons British fell-runners have done relatively well there. Some of those climbs go on forever and because most people will go into two nights it's a real struggle forcing yourself upwards when your body really doesn't want to.

The one I enjoyed most of all (and where I did best) was the CCC, it's still a very stern challenge though.
Feb 2021
11:40am, 3 Feb 2021
1,536 posts
  •  
Gromit
I've decided that although i think i've got 2 tickets in the ballot due to covid etc i'm not going to enter .......... it would be just my luck to get pulled out this year when i wont/can't go, as said above i have my doubts it will go ahead.

I'm planning on waiting a few years for travel to settle back down to the new "normal" then will book well head a nice apartment for the UTMB week and just go out and run/walk in the hills and enjoy all the races and the atmosphere etc ......... every year we've been i've curtailed activites by not wanting to injure myself pre race or been knackered post race .....
Feb 2021
11:48am, 3 Feb 2021
13,313 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
That sounds like a mighty fine plan gromit
Feb 2021
12:38pm, 3 Feb 2021
7,335 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I think there's a lot to be said for just going out there and enjoying the experience of the races and some nice days out in the hills without actually having to do any of them. I'd really like to do that myself.
Feb 2021
9:13pm, 8 Feb 2021
2,499 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
For anyone suffering from a lack of race or fkt trackers to follow there is the Scottish Gritter Traker 😀 some of the names of the gritters are brilliant. (With thanks to Ally Bevan on twitter)

arcgis.com
Feb 2021
9:20pm, 8 Feb 2021
1,922 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Hahaha.. that’s brilliant FF 😀
Feb 2021
9:49pm, 8 Feb 2021
13,332 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
That is classic. On her magestys slippery service and BFG big friendly gritter or abs how about Mary Queen of slush 😂

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.