Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

over 50's club

266 watchers
16 Feb
8:48am, 16 Feb 2021
51507 posts
Velociraptor
In June 2007, around the period when I was running most of my PBs, I commented in my Northbrook 10k race report that I was mistaken in assuming that I could just roll up and run the distance in under 50 minutes (my PB was, and still is, 46:06). My most recent race, in November 2020, was a 10k and my time in that race was also 50.XX. I ran my second fastest ever 10k in January 2019 without magic shoes or decent preparation.

Which probably just means I didn't race 10k very often in my early to mid forties because I hadn't got to grips with the fact that not being a sprinter didn't mean my best distance would be "marathon and up".
21 Feb
8:55pm, 21 Feb 2021
2228 posts
JRitchie
My long distance PBs were when I was 49. I feel that if I actually did some other stuff (strength, core, flexibility) which I am currently woeful at, then there is some improvement to be had still.
21 Feb
8:59pm, 21 Feb 2021
25749 posts
Sushi.
I came close to break 10mm ave on a hilly 7miles that was day 13 of a 78m streak.

Restoring my confidence a bit
22 Feb
6:02pm, 22 Feb 2021
5935 posts
Southcoastpete
Interesting discussion. My times have got faster, post turning 50. Mainly due to losing weight I had put on.

I was running sub 5 hour marathons in my early 40's. When I started to do Parkruns, I could go under 29 mins quite easily.

Then keeping to those times became a struggle, I seem to give up a bit, and then the weight went on.

I ran the Brighton Marathon a couple of times, and finished over 6 hours, which I wasn't happy with.

Must admit, Parkrun has been a great help and I started to lose weight. I went from a 38 minute 5k, to just over 30 mins a the beginning of last year.

I also did New York Marathon in 5.25 in 2019.

Since lockdown started, I've been running a weekly 5k on my own, and now got my times down to sub 28 mins again. This is running on my own, which I find incredible. No one to chase, and no support.

I do find it fascinating to be back running the same times as I did nearly 10 years ago.
22 Feb
6:10pm, 22 Feb 2021
19769 posts
Rosehip
That's really well done - and you give me hope, Pete :) thank you!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/leaguetable-running-over50.php

How marvellous

Close