Garmin

210 watchers
Sep 2021
1:47pm, 15 Sep 2021
750 posts
  •  
Weath
Personally (in reading between the lines that it's pretty much been confirmed to be faulty by the Garmin within 6 months of ownership), I'd be looking for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act with the retailer.

I'm sure that Garmin have excellent warranty replacements but that isn't the issue here. You paid for a new device that has failed. Thayt deserves an equivalent replacement or financial recompense.
Sep 2021
3:05pm, 15 Sep 2021
15,399 posts
  •  
larkim
I know, and you're 100% correct. It's just slightly easier to use Garmin's replacement approach than a retailer query so I'm going down the path of least resistance!
Sep 2021
3:12pm, 15 Sep 2021
1,346 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
My husband is using a 235 refurb sent out in February! No real issues with it at all!
Sep 2021
3:52pm, 15 Sep 2021
14,173 posts
  •  
Badger
I've not had much trouble with the last few Garmins, but previous ones I've had to replace multiple times and they were pretty good about it. Mind you that's over ten years ago in some cases. My 310xt had a common fault out of the box where it didn't keep the time of day when turned off, so took ages to lock satellites. They sent me a replacement which had the same fault, and had a really scruffy case, and the up button didn't work. They were very quick to send an apparently new white-box replacement for that one!
Sep 2021
4:19pm, 15 Sep 2021
15,400 posts
  •  
larkim
Obviously if I get no satisfaction about the actual altimeter point in its own right I'll flag this with the retailer and follow through on their returns process. My cleft stick position though is that at £189 you can't buy another Garmin with NFC, music, HRM, altimeter, compass built in so if I returned it and determined that all 645M have the same issues, I would lose some features I'm using and have to spend more money to get less!
Sep 2021
11:59pm, 15 Sep 2021
19,995 posts
  •  
flanker
Always had a good experience with the refurbs, but there is probably a technical reason behind some of them being returned to the retailers, so if this isn't resolved during the refurb process you risk getting a turkey.
um
Sep 2021
11:54am, 16 Sep 2021
5,164 posts
  •  
um
The refurbs I've had from Garmin have always looked brand new - whether just a new case & strap or really 'new' and from a planned replenishment stock?

Who knows?
And I didn't really care.
Sep 2021
2:08pm, 16 Sep 2021
14,177 posts
  •  
Badger
There is someone on the Garmin forums today who is distressed because he can't set his top-end watch to record a run and show his location on a map, but without recording his distance and pace as he goes.
Sep 2021
2:37pm, 16 Sep 2021
12,596 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
wow. Does he know he can just discard the run after he's pressed stop?
Sep 2021
2:47pm, 16 Sep 2021
15,403 posts
  •  
larkim
That's such a tempting thread to reply to. I can fully understand someone not wanting to be bothered about distance / pace and perhaps just removing those from the screens they can see mid-run, but if all you want is effort and time then an old fashioned Polar HRM watch would do the job nicely.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.