Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
21 Mar
5:22pm, 21 Mar 2024
7,361 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I don't *think* it will be a problem Fields . Its not a name or date of birth, and presumably its obvious what it should be and the postcode is correct. After all, you don't need to redo a poa if you move house and the entire address changes.
25 Mar
1:00pm, 25 Mar 2024
5,302 posts
  •  
Ally-C
My mum’s cleaners turned up 15 minutes early this morning & she turned them away because it wasn’t convenient 🤬🤬🤬

She’s complained before that they were there for 57 minutes & not the full hour, God give me strength.
25 Mar
1:36pm, 25 Mar 2024
1,371 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
My m-i-l passed away last week (not unexpected and, after a long period of deteriorating health, a relief for her really). Now the bureaucratic madness kicks in ... said to Mr SD that I feel that we're on the slow uphill bit of a roller coaster ride, before we reach the top and everything kicks off!
25 Mar
3:38pm, 25 Mar 2024
74,866 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Aw so sorry for your loss SD :-(
3M
25 Mar
3:47pm, 25 Mar 2024
23,672 posts
  •  
3M
That's sad news for you and your family, stilldreaming. Hope the roller coaster ride isn't too bumpy.
25 Mar
3:53pm, 25 Mar 2024
32,303 posts
  •  
macca 53
Sorry for your loss stilldreaming
CK2
25 Mar
4:04pm, 25 Mar 2024
2,678 posts
  •  
CK2
Sorry to hear that stilldreaming
25 Mar
4:17pm, 25 Mar 2024
5,303 posts
  •  
Ally-C
25 Mar
4:43pm, 25 Mar 2024
18,637 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
25 Mar
5:20pm, 25 Mar 2024
4,506 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Have had no problems dealing with Mum's estate stuff (Lloyds, Nationwide, Prudential, her pension companies have all been brilliant) with the sole exception of the sodding Skipton Building Society. I'm an only child and executor of her will and inherit most of it. We're not talking huge amounts here, as it's mostly just her savings. However, she decided to leave my OH and our 2 daughters a little bit of mad money each, so they're named in the will too. To satisfy the Skipton, it would appear that all named beneficiaries have to sign a single form and have our signatures witnessed by a solicitor. DD1 lives in London, DD2 lives with us in Leicester but has mental health issues and is severely agoraphobic - no idea how we're going to get all the signatures witnessed! I can see I'm going to be on the phone to the Skipton tomorrow.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.