Support thread for parents of teenagers

132 watchers
28 Sep
9:59pm, 28 Sep 2022
9,070 posts
  •  
TeeBee
I think it depends very much on the kid. Mine didn't try to get round it - and all we did was put a timer on the plug, nothing more complicated. But it was still too much bother for him to work out.
29 Sep
6:13pm, 29 Sep 2022
26,989 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Hello
We knew T11 is scared (to the point of tears) of dystopian futures in books etc. Turns out it's the future he's scared of, particularly him not being around any more. Which makes sense, just hadn't really thought about it myself... So, today he just had a melt down because they're going to make a 100yr time capsule at Scouts. Obviously I am not making him attend, but I am bemused as to how to help him grow through this as, looking back, it's pretty ingrained.
29 Sep
6:16pm, 29 Sep 2022
57,192 posts
  •  
LindsD
I remember really vividly feeling like that. I just made myself stop thinking about it. Hopefully he can come to terms with it. It's a fairly reasonable fear tbf
29 Sep
6:17pm, 29 Sep 2022
57,193 posts
  •  
LindsD
*just* not implying that it's easy. I just couldn't live with that level of terror
29 Sep
6:23pm, 29 Sep 2022
26,697 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Most fears seem insurmountable when you’re stressed - I think the more in control you are the easier it is to do. Environments where everyone around you may judge you for it are rarely the place to conquer your fears. Teen has recently been working through Disney which she has always been terrified of
29 Sep
6:25pm, 29 Sep 2022
26,698 posts
  •  
Serendippily
In comfort of own living room with remote in hand and friends on FaceTime to laugh with. MrS and I love Pixar and were looking forward to having someone to share it with - it might yet happen …
29 Sep
6:27pm, 29 Sep 2022
26,699 posts
  •  
Serendippily
We had something very similar with spiders btw. Makes sense now

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Thread was started by Trin, back when her kids were in their teens.

A place to vent, but also to share good news.

The Doctor K Cup

This year sees the fifth edition of our annual challenge in memory of the Fetchies who have sadly passed away. It's named after Doctor K, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2017

Are you doing the right training?

See typical mileage, pace and long run stats for every distance and goal. See a comparison with your own training.

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,083 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here