Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

134 watchers
25 Mar
5:57pm, 25 Mar 2024
67,338 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sending strength sd

That's such a pain jabberknit. I wonder if it's branch specific or has changed. We had absolutely no issues with the Skipton when Dad died in 2017.
jda
25 Mar
6:29pm, 25 Mar 2024
16,750 posts
  •  
jda
What are they actually asking the beneficiaries to acknowledge jk? I think we had to do something like that for a deed of variation but I can’t see it being necessary otherwise. I wonder if they have got the wrong end of the stick.

Sorry for your loss sd - hope the bureaucracy isn’t too bad…
25 Mar
6:56pm, 25 Mar 2024
74,867 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
We got through an email to verify who we were. They wanted photographic ID then a selfie both scanned and sent back via email and that was it.
25 Mar
7:36pm, 25 Mar 2024
4,507 posts
  •  
jabberknit
It may be because the amount is 'between £5,000 and £30,000', and I don't have probate - haven't actually needed it until this! I'm calling the Skipton tomorrow to clarify.
25 Mar
8:17pm, 25 Mar 2024
7,365 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Sorry to hear this stilldreaming.
Also in the middle of the bureaucracy following mum's death. Has been pretty straightforward so far - apart from the post office losing the id I sent them - fortunately just a photocopy of my driving licence. Have to send a new copy, but will again have to find someone from the approved list of professions to certify that it's a true copy of a seen original. It's a minor inconvenience but is trying when you're in the middle of it.
28 Mar
11:32am, 28 Mar 2024
1,372 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Things progressing quite well. Starting to clear a few things from the house while we're up here, but feelng all sorts of emotions from anger through to sadness and maybe some jealousy? This has been Mr SD's family home for 60+ years and holds many memories for him. We never had our own home and moved 5 times before I was 18, so I don't have any real connection with where I grew up. To be honest, I'm quite surprised at how I feel 😕
28 Mar
12:30pm, 28 Mar 2024
7,040 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Don't judge yourself stilldreaming. How you feel is how you feel. I can understand feeling jealous in the circumstances. It's a reminder of what you missed out on.
28 Mar
12:45pm, 28 Mar 2024
29,475 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Despair here. Is a section 113 permanent? Who becomes responsible for mental and physical wellbeing? They broke mum’s door down prior to sectioning her and the locksmith gave her the keys. They have moved her to a care home against her will so she has now spent over four weeks with no coat, one change of clothes, no change of underwear and no child able to get into the house. As far as i can tell, she is now in permanent care in the same state. They must have put her new house keys in the safe, but all oarties are denying all knowledge of having them. She has only just accepted a visit from me but still feels we are all responsible for this. They think she has an attachment disorder. She wouldn’t believe me on the date on Sunday but i can’t rule out that she is just terrified and it seems so similar to an autistic meltdown
28 Mar
1:03pm, 28 Mar 2024
7,041 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Serendippily - is your mum on a Community Treatment Order? Does she live in Scotland or England/Wales? It sounds awful and must be some distressing for you and her but the powers should only be used where there is a genuine fear that life is in danger.
28 Mar
2:07pm, 28 Mar 2024
18,644 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Dipps that sounds terrible for all involved. Sorry I can offer no help

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.