The sub 4.30 marathon thread - support, chat, achieve...

10 watchers
Aug 2022
2:53pm, 6 Aug 2022
14,655 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Sounds good, and you seem to be ina good place. Do you have a plan for race day in terms of pace and target time?
Aug 2022
1:40pm, 7 Aug 2022
432 posts
  •  
Brandon
Hi, yes 6:15 per km for 25km and assess from there. I want to go out with plenty to spare and ideally have enough in the tank to push on. Cheers
Aug 2022
4:25pm, 7 Aug 2022
14,663 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Sounds wise, hope it goes well.
Aug 2022
12:12am, 16 Aug 2022
433 posts
  •  
Brandon
Well, 4hrs 38mins which is a 10 minute PB. I was hoping for close to 4hrs 30mins and found that final 10km tough. In the next few days I'll add some thoughts and reflection :)
Aug 2022
7:47am, 16 Aug 2022
14,692 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Well done and congrats on the PB! The last 10km is always the worse :-) did you think you fueled correctly? Did you go out too quick? Did you do enough long runs? That’s usually the causes for fading at the end.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Aug 2022
7:50am, 16 Aug 2022
14,693 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
By the way, for others reading, the details are here fetcheveryone.com/training-log-view.php?id=20911683
Oct 2022
3:39am, 22 Oct 2022
435 posts
  •  
Brandon
For my own reflection (or anyone interested) a long overdue look back at my 2nd marathon. First of all, a 10 minute PB but not under 4:30 and left with a feeling of blah... not disappointed as such but not really pleased either.
I normally run 3 days a week, as its a balance with all other family commitments that I can maintain. I enjoyed the marathon training regime, following a plan that I had created by an experienced runner and I really need a plan to force me to get out on the mornings I would otherwise probably stay in bed. I do my weekend long runs on the trails. I much prefer the trails, can take occasional walk breaks and prefer the varying terrain. I was expecting in the marathon itself that I could achieve 4:30 but at the 30km mark I just couldn't maintain the pace. If anything, I got a little bored or perhaps just lost concentration. The conditions were favourably. Either way, it was a struggle in the last 10km. At the finish line I just kind of felt indifferent to it.
Whereas in March I completed my first 50km trail ultra. The big difference here was that time was not a consideration. It was all about getting around and finishing, which I did in about 7 hours 40 minutes.
I see feel a bit indifferent about the marathon but must say I do have an absolute respect for the event and distance. I think I do have a sub 4:30 in me but it won't be a fixation :) Some have suggested more long runs on the roads rather than trials but I prefer trails for interest and the ability to switch off.

I'm sure I'll do another marathon but for now I'm returning to training and will run a 50 miler trail event in June 2023 at the aaaracing.com.au

Best wishes to all and enjoy your running.
Cheers
Dec 2022
3:23pm, 5 Dec 2022
19,778 posts
  •  
larkim
Looks like my better half is doing London as her "one and only" marathon next year, and she's looking at a sub 4:30 goal I think (potentially sub 4:15)

She's currently averaging about 20mpw and has recently knocked out a 53min 10k.

She'll want to following "something" but she's busier in life than I am so I don't think I can point her towards a P&D plan. Had a quick look at the intermediate and advanced London plans here tcslondonmarathon.com which look sensible if uninspiring.

Where's a good place to look for plans which take account of the fact that a 20 mile run at 4:30 pace is a much bigger (and potentially unreasonable or unwise) time on feet commitment than a 20 mile run for a 3:15 pace runner?
Mar 2023
6:41pm, 3 Mar 2023
4,732 posts
  •  
kstuart
Having somehow scrapped under at Windermere in 2021 and having surprised my self with a 4:47 last day of a Quadzilla earlier this year sorta looking at going under 4:30 again this year. Would be nice as it would show running is finally coming back to me properly

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Brandon
A place for support, chat, progress.

We're not quite sub 4hr but we are under 5hr.