The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

7 lurkers | 330 watchers
Mar 2019
8:38am, 25 Mar 2019
30,846 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, new blood for 3:15 thread - hope Paul The Builder pops their target races into the sidebar over there >>>

Welcome riggsy and MoKen - I won't bother with suggestions, as you've got loads of good advice already. I'll just say Welcome to best thread on Fetch for carefully considered advice for marathon training and race execution. medal

However, in all other matters our chat is dire! :-P :-) G
Mar 2019
8:39am, 25 Mar 2019
7,090 posts
  •  
larkim
Baz - this is the last four weeks of a Pfitz and Latter generic race build up, maybe something to look at?

fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=506

I always used 5m race pace tune up efforts in the week priorb to a half in the past.
SKR
Mar 2019
8:45am, 25 Mar 2019
637 posts
  •  
SKR
Baz, they are usually done at threshold. so 10secs faster than HMP. Recovery depends on how many reps you are doing. there is a slight variation between Cruise Ks and just 1k reps. with Cruise Ks you are doing the recovery at the faster side of easy (longer recovery though), but 1k repeats usually have walk recoveries e.g 1min walk.

I just checked my last 15 x 1k session. and it was @3:30min/km pace and 1min walk recovery. the cruise K equivalent had a 2min run rec.
Mar 2019
9:00am, 25 Mar 2019
14,234 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
No way am I doing 15 x 1ks :-O I was thinking maybe 5 or 6 at most !

I guess though that doing 9 or 10 1ks is similar to 3 x 2miles
Mar 2019
9:45am, 25 Mar 2019
8 posts
  •  
riggsy99
Hello Moken welcome to the thread.
Lots of great advice on here.
Larkim when I did the twenty miler my target HR was 150 - 168 I tried to keep to the lower range for the first 10 miles then increased my HR over the second half of the run. I normally do my long runs on a Monday because of working nights on Saturday night.

Having said that this week I have a weekend off work so will do the long run on Sunday having done the parkrun the day before (the plan calls for a tune up race on the Saturday with the long run the day after).
I am thinking at the moment to do around 16-18 as a long run on Sunday and then if I feel ok when I get home take the dog out for a slow couple off miles straight away.

Uyuni, my first and only marathon was the rother valley marathon with only around 100 runners in it (plus some doing an ultra at the same time) and was 9 laps of the lakes, for the last 16 miles I ran by myself. Really looking forward to Boston now and just hope the weather stays OK for it.
Hope everyone had a good weekends training
jda
Mar 2019
9:54am, 25 Mar 2019
4,087 posts
  •  
jda
I wouldn't do 15x1k, for starters an hour at threshold is too much and for seconds by the time I'm up to 40 mins in total it's in larger chunks like 4x10min. The first bit of each chunk is wasted while HR etc gets up to speed, at least that's the argument I've heard. So longer chunks are more efficient in terms of benefit per total time.
SKR
Mar 2019
10:34am, 25 Mar 2019
638 posts
  •  
SKR
@jda i agree with the bit about the early chunks wasted getting the HR up, its why i'm useless at 2min@LT repeats. Like i said, the sessions in question though not conventional helped a lot in my prep.

15 x 1000 for HM and 20 x 400m for my 10k were sessions my coach put in my schedule. seemed crazy at the time but i got them done and i was grateful in the end.
Mar 2019
10:57am, 25 Mar 2019
7,093 posts
  •  
larkim
Isn't that HR acceleration why Chrisull advocates for the Billat 30:30s etc - they are meant to avoid you dropping back down into too low a HR and the evidence suggests that they ensure that the physiological response in terms of adaptation is equal to doing a prolonged tempo etc.

My first 50+ week last week which was nice to finally get done. The niggly hamstring appears to be playing ball, and a mid-week tempo picked up no negative response. I'm starting to think my driving seat position in the car is triggering something odd, as I get some odd spasms in my leg only mon-fri and I don't think it is my work chair. Odd though as it's the same car I've had for the last 9 years, but I did notice it a bit yesterday when I had to do some driving in it.

I've singularly failed to extend out my long runs to 20s as I'd planned, partly down to apathy and partly down to playing it safe with my hamstring. Next weekend the long run will also get ignored as I'm picking up the eldest from Uni (aiming for a 5:30 departure from home so I can run his Uni town parkrun with him at 9am) on the Saturday, and then Sunday I've got a league 5 miler, and it's mothers day, so can't justify disappearing off the for the race and a long run.
Mar 2019
11:02am, 25 Mar 2019
6,507 posts
  •  
paul the builder
2 additions to the sidebar as gently prompted by G ;-)

Welcome aboard chaps.
Mar 2019
11:09am, 25 Mar 2019
30,848 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, nice one Paul. Is it because I put your name in capitals?! (Wonders if it's a new Fetch feature, that a klaxon sounds in paul's house if I speak his name?!) :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw
York: 20/10: SJA
Cleethorpes 23/11: riggys