The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

331 watchers
Aug 2015
10:03am, 4 Aug 2015
1,974 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
if I may....

....I think that the advice to build yourself in to an aerobic monster is great and is that which this thread has thrived upon since I have been a part of it. Running all those easy miles to drive the HR down and then capitalise by tuning up close to the race is no doubt the optimum strategy to the marathon game.

I've tried this and realised that I came up way short. Why? Well, in general from what I've seen is that the approach described above needs time and significant miles. I tried it on my average of 180 miles per month and it's just not enough to make the transformation.

In the mean time I've watched others make significant gains and run far faster than me off much less training volume but with a greater emphasis on speed. I'm very frustrated with myself that I've spent several years doing nothing properly....running slowly but not enough mileage, not running fast enough to emulate others.

Gah. Why do I say this? Not to cause trouble but just to point something out. in some ways I see P&D as a halfway house, one that I converted 'incorrectly' in the past by jogging all the long runs as I thought I was doing the right thing. All I want to say really is that I see plenty of 36 - 37 10k runners running low 2:50s off a couple of 20s and a bunch of speedwork. Sure, they may have run a faster marathon following the longer / slower way but you have to have the time to do it properly.
Aug 2015
10:57am, 4 Aug 2015
3,668 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Huntsman - my half PB is 1:31 and so far I've managed 3:18. that was on a very cold, very wt and windy point to pint course (wind in our faces the whole way). I am sure I can nick a sub 3:15 so am sure with your times its doable. My average training is 40pw unto 50pw for peak marathon training so not huge by some standards on this thread but I seem to break if I go any higher :) I see to be able to plod for a long way at 8 min miling and can run 3:30/3:35 relatively easily but faster than that and it gets a lot tougher!
Aug 2015
12:18pm, 4 Aug 2015
8,814 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
WW - many (mainly me) would love your shorter distance speed. I think we all have different strengths and weakneses and to improve your weaknesses needs the right formula. As an example there is no way I could transform myself into a low 18 min 5k runner, no matter what I tried. What works for one, doesnt always work for another. What you need to do (and I think you are getting there) is work out what works for you
Aug 2015
12:23pm, 4 Aug 2015
383 posts
  •  
jdarun
WW, really, where are these people doing low 2:50s on a bit of natural speed and low mileage? I don't see it. Based on what I see here, as well as my very limited (but fairly successful in terms of my aims and ability) experience, a decent marathon conversion depends on putting in a decent number of long and hard runs - not battering yourself, but plenty of tempo intervals - and bit of steady mileage, the more the merrier. Lots of quick(er) 10k runners who fall apart over longer distances. I would think there are probably more 37 min 10k runner who haven't broken 3h than those who do a 2:50 marathon on low volume.
Aug 2015
12:28pm, 4 Aug 2015
8,816 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Lol jda, its your shorter distance times that need work and dont convert well down the way !!!
Aug 2015
12:40pm, 4 Aug 2015
2,088 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Hello all you lovely 3:15ers, it's been a while. I'm just getting back into some decent training after a few injuries that initially scuppered my VLM attempt. Aiming for Lanzarote on 12th December with Bristol and Cardiff 1/2 marathons in between.

I'm enjoying the debate on the "running lots of easy miles" approach. I think the higher mileage training generally suits more of the people at our level, with a 5k around the 19 minute mark (WW you are much quicker than most of us at the 5k - 1/2 distances). As Baz says different approaches work for different people (and varying lifestyles). Personally, when I'm coming to the end of a marathon and needing to draw on as much of my reserves as possible it doesn't go through my mind that I wish I had done a bit more speedwork. I am glad of every 20-24 mile training run that I slogged out earlier in the campaign. I also find the interval training, that is necessary to hold the speed, is much less likely to cause me an injury once I've got a decent amount of base training in my legs.
Aug 2015
1:26pm, 4 Aug 2015
138 posts
  •  
only weak men
Hmm. I definitely feel stronger to handle speedy stuff if I've got a solid base of easy miles but I think long runs with pace work in them really seem to make a noticeable difference. Definitely know of a few people fitting WW's description - someone at the club had a relatively low mileage but an average mile pace for last year of 6.46!
Aug 2015
1:32pm, 4 Aug 2015
4,981 posts
  •  
paul the builder
""I would think there are probably more 37 min 10k runner who haven't broken 3h than those who do a 2:50 marathon on low volume"" (jda)
(^) This is true.
But that's not to say that WW is just like everyone else; Baz is right that we all need to figure out what works best for us. Could be that WW needs something different. I could also point out that I too only managed 3:08 when I was at roughly 2000 miles/yr too, if I thought wouldn't come across as mischievous in so doing...

But I get your point (WW) about P&D (or in fact any plan) feeling like a halfway house - because it's not tailored to you (or me, or anyone) exactly. I think a smart runner takes a good plan as a base, and then tailors it to their own needs. Both in terms of what *works* for them, and also what they *enjoy*, and will therefore be more likely to stick to.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you've got some long term frustration over your training. If I knew exactly what the key was for (specifically) you, I'd say like a shot. But I don't and none of us do. I hope you're still enthusiastic enough to give it the hard, cold, analysis - and then commit fully to a method (whatever it is). You're (still) on my one-to-watch list ;-)

Good to see BR back.
Aug 2015
1:35pm, 4 Aug 2015
4,982 posts
  •  
paul the builder
x-post with OWM.

OWM - but what was his/her 10k? Was it only 37:xx?
I can imagine people who run 2:5x marathons on low mileage - but they're likely to have a 34 min 10k too and be converting poorly (just more talent).
Aug 2015
1:46pm, 4 Aug 2015
386 posts
  •  
jdarun
Agree with ptb on "what works for them". I can only say (probably for the nth time) that I'm pleased with how the Jack Daniels plan worked for me, and a bit surprised that it isn't a bit more popular. Two main structured sessions a week and the rest just mileage/time to suit yourself, plenty of scope for fitting it round other things like club sessions and other sports. The book also makes sense for running generally though I have not tried the training plans for shorter events.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw
York: 20/10: SJA
Cleethorpes 23/11: riggys