The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

1 lurker | 331 watchers
Aug 2015
7:03pm, 2 Aug 2015
2,103 posts
  •  
Huntsman
Bye Peacey.

Crap half today with a bloody annoying left glute/hamstring niggle. Stopped racing to hopefully control the problem. Onwards and upwards 😃
Aug 2015
8:36pm, 2 Aug 2015
488 posts
  •  
Fravage
5 mile pb today. Yes, it was my first one, but they all count! 30.07, lovely course, well paced and a couple of nice Fetchies met as well. A good day.
Aug 2015
8:36pm, 2 Aug 2015
489 posts
  •  
Fravage
5 mile pb today. Yes, it was my first one, but they all count! 30.07, lovely course, well paced and a couple of nice Fetchies met as well. A good day.
Aug 2015
10:18pm, 2 Aug 2015
1,971 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
that's quick Fravage, great work. What's the plan for the rest of the year? Sticking to the short stuff?

Sorry to hear that Hunts. Time to get yourself fixed don't you think? Any ideas what it might be?
Aug 2015
10:37pm, 2 Aug 2015
2,105 posts
  •  
Huntsman
I know exactly what it is WW and resting doesn't help because I'll always be as flexible as a plank of wood (tight hamstrings). So I'll manage the fact I'm lucky to be able to tie my own shoelaces and carry on 😃
Aug 2015
9:17am, 3 Aug 2015
134 posts
  •  
Daz Love
Hunts - I am exactly the same. It is my biggest restriction! Would love to have a bit more flexibility. Resting doesn't seem to do much however it is about managing it. I do hold back on speed sessions sometimes as that was does the worst damage! Strangely I am hoping that by doing these extra 4 milers a few times a week it may help. Gives me more occasions to stretch out.
Aug 2015
9:20am, 3 Aug 2015
6,905 posts
  •  
LouLou
Suspect your tight hamstrings will result from weakness in the glutes. I was fine for years but reckon by not correcting imbalances or addressing injuries I've broken down after 10 years of running. Granted, I've achieved times I'm pleased with but reckon looking after myself I could have done better.

Peacey - great parkrunning with your boy - happy running :)
Aug 2015
9:22am, 3 Aug 2015
2,107 posts
  •  
Huntsman
Exactly Daz. I know the issues I just have the issue worse some times. I'm going to do some strength training too.
Aug 2015
10:47am, 3 Aug 2015
4,975 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Fine weekend on the thread then - 2 parkrun firsts is probably a first?

Peacey - hope all is OK. There's plenty of us drift away from here from time to time and then drift back. You'll get a warm welcome back if and when.

Daz - if you've run 85 and 3:10 off 20-25mpw, then you've more natural ability than me (not even close, I was in the 40-50 range before I got to those race times). And many others on here too. It's entirely up to you what you do with it, of course. But if you want to get close to the HM and Marathon times that you're capable of (or at least find out what they might be), then yes, more running days and more miles. 4-5m before work often seems pointless, and if you only do it occasionally, then it is. But if you're consistently adding 15m to your weekly total like that, it'll make a big difference.

It's probably reasonable to say that long runs and speedwork/tempo work, from all the runs, do make the biggest individual contributions. But bigger than those is the collective volume.
Aug 2015
10:50am, 3 Aug 2015
135 posts
  •  
Daz Love
Thanks ptb. I think I do enough of the speed work and one long(ish) run per week. Just the extra miles that are missing. I will give it a crack!

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw
York: 20/10: SJA
Cleethorpes 23/11: riggys