Sub-4hr marathon support and celebration thread

174 watchers
25 Feb
7:21pm, 25 Feb 2024
67,913 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That's excellent, Joe1970 and CasB :) Well done!

I ran a marathon last weekend. It was nowhere near sub-4, but I'm happy with how I ran it. I had a substantial positive split, which was inevitable because I was so undertrained, and a bit of chafing due to a stupid clothing decision, but otherwise it went very smoothly and when I get home I'll have nine weeks to prepare for the next one from a starting point of proven recent ability to stay on my feet for marathon distance and to run 5k at sub-4 marathon pace. Just need to put those things together.
25 Feb
8:35pm, 25 Feb 2024
117 posts
  •  
Joe1970
Good effort, CasB, sounds like excellent marathon prep! It's not the worlds most exciting course, I guess, but then more interesting courses generally have big hills involved! I did a blog on here if anyone wants more details of world record beating bananas...

And sounds like you're pretty well set too, Velociraptor, pretty sure there's always something to learn from longer runs and if you can keep the good things and learn from occasional mistakes then it's all positive.
26 Feb
6:54am, 26 Feb 2024
1,060 posts
  •  
Dibble
Great effort, Dibble! Will be interested to hear details! What led you to Delhi rather than Wokingham?

Cricket! Couldn't resist doing the marathon and settling for watching the 4th test on TV, before heading to Dharamsala for the last test.
26 Feb
6:57am, 26 Feb 2024
1,061 posts
  •  
Dibble
Blog now done

fetcheveryone.com/blog/29850/2024/2/480002
26 Feb
9:27am, 26 Feb 2024
7,339 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Shame it's not a series decider for you!
4 Mar
8:48am, 4 Mar 2024
23,425 posts
  •  
larkim
Asking vicariously for my better half; what sort of half conversion have those targeting sub 4 for a debut marathon been confident with?

She ran an unexpected 1:49 a couple of weekends ago and is running 40+ miles per week following the Hanson plan. I want to pass on solid advice so she has a great day in London, but she's definitely in the mindset that this is her one and only marathon attempt. Sub 4 definitely feels on, but just wanted to sense check it based on real world experiences!!
4 Mar
9:04am, 4 Mar 2024
67,996 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I ran 1:48 and 1:43 for two half marathons two weeks apart in the run up to my first sub 4 marathon, but none of these were debut outings though it was the first time I'd come close to preparing properly for the marathon. And also 1:48 and 1:53 a few weeks after my most recent sub 4 marathon.

I think your OH has an excellent chance of sub 4, larkim provided she paces her marathon well and nothing goes wrong on the day, but there isn't a lot of room for error.

I seem to recall that DocM targeted and achieved a sub 4 marathon at the first attempt, but looking at her race portfolio she ran a sub-1:45 half four weeks beforehand. She might have some useful insights.
4 Mar
9:22am, 4 Mar 2024
48,844 posts
  •  
DocM
That is correct vrap. London is difficult for good pacing as it is so busy. My sub 4 I was targeting 3:52. And the first half of it I was paced by a fetchie which really helped
4 Mar
9:33am, 4 Mar 2024
23,426 posts
  •  
larkim
Thanks both. Yes, agreed pacing is the challenge. If I was her, I'd be looking for a spot on 1:59 half, but the book she's got puts the conversion from 1:50 to marathon as being closed to 3:54. I don't think that's "wrong", but it's the whole "unknown territory" stuff, and like you say 1:50 to sub 4 is not a guaranteed conversion so it feels to me like there's a knife edge to be run.
4 Mar
9:43am, 4 Mar 2024
67,997 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I had a Fetchie companion who took control of the early pacing for my first sub-4 too. I hadn't signed up to the site myself at that point so I don't have any of the details of the race written down but I think he may not have let me wear a watch.

I've never run sub 4 at London. The one time it might have been a possibility, it turned out to be a hot day and I also made several stupid weather-independent errors of my own.

About This Thread

Maintained by Velociraptor
A planning, discussion and support thread for Fetchies with a target of under 4 hours for the marathon.

FUTURE TARGETS
21st April: UltraDunc - Blackpool, sub-4
28th April: Oscar the Grouch - Newport, sub-4.
5th May: Velociraptor - Belfast, sub-4:15.
1st December: Velociraptor - Valencia, TBD.

2024 ACHIEVEMENTS
Dibble: 3:49, Delhi Marathon.
Joe1970: 3:44:39, Brighton Marathon.
CasB: 3:58:19, Manchester Marathon.