Sub 3Hr Marathon

11 lurkers | 299 watchers
Aug 2021
4:27pm, 13 Aug 2021
175 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
Good luck to those of you in the midst of marathon training. Sadly my 110km+ a week training recently has been too much for my old body and I have just had an MRI indicating I have stress fractures on both sides of my sacrum, so I amn now out for a few months. Was supposed to be running Berlin (or Manchester as backup) plus an England Masters HM, so a bit disappointed about that to say the least. Definitely feels like two years of training down the toilet. Roll on Manchester 2022...
Aug 2021
5:23pm, 13 Aug 2021
760 posts
  •  
Rog T
Sorry to hear that jomo. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I know it will feel like training down the pan at the moment but I always feel that no training is ever wasted and it can be drawn upon once you are recovered and able to get going again. Like you say, roll on Manchester 2022
Aug 2021
5:31pm, 13 Aug 2021
4,832 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Take care and come back stronger jomo.
jda
Aug 2021
6:10pm, 13 Aug 2021
10,629 posts
  •  
jda
That’s sad news Jomo. Just got my “official legend” running vest from Manchester so I’ll be training in that over the winter :-)
Aug 2021
7:58pm, 13 Aug 2021
4,536 posts
  •  
FergusG
Sorry to hear that Jomo, it must be frustrating and disappointing. Give it the time it needs to heal well, and I’m sure you’ll come back stronger and more determined than ever.
Aug 2021
10:25am, 14 Aug 2021
176 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
Thanks, everyone. It genuinely is a pain...but I will survive.

Look forward to hearing about people's successes this autumn - it's great to see some targets in the sidebar again after such a long time.
Aug 2021
1:47pm, 31 Aug 2021
765 posts
  •  
Rog T
I raced Severn Bridge Half Marathon on Sunday as part of my London buildup. I'm not sure about what to make of how it went really but I managed 1:24:14 (PB is 1:21:41 from April). I just seemed to run out of energy from about 8 miles and couldn't get my legs to maintain the pace/effort I'd set off at - heart and lungs were fine. I'd had an easy training week leading up to it and I believe I was well fuelled too. 2nd half was 2 minutes slower than the first and a constant fade.
I really enjoyed the race, course and the atmosphere - first fully normal race start for me since start of the pandemic which was great. I just keep getting up and down about the time, the fade and what it may mean for my London goals - I was originally going to go for PB (current 2:56:xx) but am now leaning towards 'just' a sub 3 attempt. I did have some thoughts on the day about binning London and trying at Newport 3 weeks later instead but I managed to get my teddy out of the corner :D
I think I may have just underestimated the course/conditions - there's quite a bit of ascent to get to the middle of that bridge!
How's everyone else doing?
Aug 2021
5:14pm, 31 Aug 2021
4,893 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I think that would worry me a bit too Rog. I've had my free entry for Newport conformed but am feeling bad about prioritising running over work though work is currently quiet if the government give the go ahead for the 12 - 15 year olds as expected they'll be asking for more hours again. My husband pointed out that I'd prioritised work over running all year so far but it just doesn't sit right. I haven't run further than sixteen miles in one go since Bedford on the 25th July due to my knee initially and just lately a lack of motivation. Can't decide what to do!
jda
Aug 2021
5:31pm, 31 Aug 2021
10,700 posts
  •  
jda
Rog, maybe there’s the option of a steady sub3 at London, if it feels too easy you can have another go at Newport with a more ambitious schedule? I wouldn’t normally suggest 2 races so close together but 3 weeks might be plenty recovery time if you felt like the first race was a bit too comfortable.
Aug 2021
6:41pm, 31 Aug 2021
5,224 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Rog, I had a look at the course profile of that HM. Far from ideal for a fast run!!

If the training has been good then I’d say trust it. Maybe something like 87:30 or 88 to halfway to leave you with the option of a gentle fade to a sub 3*, or a constant pace to a PB.

* sounds familiar 😂😂😂

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
28 April
Newport
Miser 2:45
Boston (Lincs)
Brunski 2:55
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.