Read a book from every year of your life challenge

62 watchers
Jul 2017
9:58am, 7 Jul 2017
23,884 posts
  •  
Diogenes
It is a very good review, McG, better than the book, I'd hazard.
Jul 2017
11:38am, 7 Jul 2017
35,767 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
He's a good writer, Bint, I just didn't like the snapshot approach. Maybe if it was a few short ones in between longer ones, but almost all of them were too short for me, I found it annoying.
Jul 2017
1:48pm, 7 Jul 2017
18,957 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Having gone a bit through the wringer with J G Ballard I'm going to have something much easier emotionally next - Agatha Christie, Sleeping Murder.

Empire of the Sun explains Ballard's very dark view of society in his other books, but I'm not tempted to read them as it was really only because Jim's story is only very slightly fictionalised that I could bear the horror of it all - because it was pretty much true. If it had simply been the product of the author's disturbed imagination I would have put it aside as being too unsettling. Does that seem strange?

McG mentioned the follow-up novel/semi-autobiography, The Kindness of Women, but the synopsis on Wikipedia includes this:

'Jim is obsessed with two themes throughout the book: sex, and death.The numerous sexual encounters are described in clinical and cold terms. The act of sex becomes a dispassionate observation of the male and female genitalia. Too often Jim is unaroused, and has to be "worked on" by his female partner. Not my cup of tea.

Jim was a slightly unusual little boy before the war; by the end of it he was decidedly odd. You couldn't help caring about him though.
Jul 2017
2:02pm, 7 Jul 2017
29,962 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Ooh. I should have added that I've not read the sequel, though I loved EotS.
Jul 2017
4:30pm, 9 Jul 2017
912 posts
  •  
Heinzster
Finished Runaway Jury. Now on Hunt for Red October
Jul 2017
4:35pm, 9 Jul 2017
29,992 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Where did you leave if? ;-)
Jul 2017
4:36pm, 9 Jul 2017
29,993 posts
  •  
McGoohan
*it* dammit!
Jul 2017
4:43pm, 9 Jul 2017
5,941 posts
  •  
Valyrian Plastic
I kept meaning to say this but on Tuesday I finished Fingersmith, and only once I was done did I realise that the copy of The Revenant I'd bought specifically for the challenge was also a 2002 book!!!

I'm glad I read Fingersmith though - certainly not your run-of-the-[paper]mill historical fiction.

Not sure what to pick for 2003. I'm thinking about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time but so far I've been unable to track down a copy.
Jul 2017
4:50pm, 9 Jul 2017
6,665 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I've just finished my 1981 book Twice Shy (Dick Francis). It's very much of its time as it is about someone who steals a computer programme, which has been put onto cassette tapes. It then involves much chasing around to find people who own computers (or more likely have one at their workplace) in order to run the tapes and use the computer programme. Hard to imagine today......
Jul 2017
4:53pm, 9 Jul 2017
6,666 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
VP I had a spare copy of 'The Curious Incident...' which some time ago I sent to a Fetchie who wanted to read it so maybe Fetch karma will mean they or another Fetchie will have a copy they no longer want and will send it to you.....

If you can track it down I'd certainly recommend it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Night-owl
The plan to read a book that was first published from each year of your life.
Doesn't matter how long it takes.

some websites for ideas

Fantastic Fiction
fantasticfiction.com

Good Reads
goodreads.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.