Read a book from every year of your life challenge

62 watchers
Jul 2017
11:04am, 10 Jul 2017
5,013 posts
  •  
Helegant
The perils of decluttering ;-)

On the subject of which... would anyone like this year's Booker Prize winner? I have a copy of The Sellout which I'm happy to post to the first person to Fmail me their address. Free.
Jul 2017
11:05am, 10 Jul 2017
35,839 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Decluttering is a good thing, I had room on my shelves for new books, Hel :)
Jul 2017
11:06am, 10 Jul 2017
35,840 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
And I'm of the opinion that if you'll never read it again, it's the kindest thing to let a book free so someone else can enjoy it :) Books shouldn't collect dust.
Jul 2017
11:10am, 10 Jul 2017
5,015 posts
  •  
Helegant
Every year I leave several books in the members library at La Santa with a message to read and pass on. I've never seen any of them again and would love to know where they have gone.
Jul 2017
11:14am, 10 Jul 2017
23,921 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Books are my wallpaper, my pictures, my friends and memories. I only get rid of the ones I can't stand.
Jul 2017
11:25am, 10 Jul 2017
5,947 posts
  •  
Valyrian Plastic
I might read Millions at some point, Fleecy, but Going Postal is my current choice for 2004.
Jul 2017
11:27am, 10 Jul 2017
2,514 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Any book I don't like enough to reread I give to haslemere station - they all go :-)
I didn't fancy the sellout but thank you helegant
Jul 2017
11:51am, 10 Jul 2017
30,003 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I wasn't massively impressed with The Sellout. What did you think about it Helegant?
Jul 2017
1:16pm, 10 Jul 2017
5,017 posts
  •  
Helegant
I thought it 'took a lot of reading' because of the long involved sentences, and fell into the category of 'books that are not like other books I've read in the way that they are written'. 'The Bone People' was in the same category but I enjoyed TBP more.

It was our book club read last time and some folks absolutely loved it. Some found it hilarious, but it didn't often make me laugh. I prefer subtelty and nuance, and there wasn't much to be found.

There were a number of different themes and some folks picked up on more than others. There was a lot of psychological exploration in there, the stuff about identity, race and discrimination, familiarity, slavery vs freedom, safety and risk, exploration of boundaries and expectations was all worth thinking about, but I felt I was being hit around the head with some of the ideas.

Some folks in my group didn't understand the ending, and we each had different ideas about what it meant.

There is a phrase in the book, "What about the Native Americans? What about the Chinese, the Japanese, the Mexicans, the poor, the forests, the water, the air... " that I felt summed up what he was trying to say about sectionalising society and the difficulties of achieving any kind of equality, but overall... not massively impressed either.
Jul 2017
1:24pm, 10 Jul 2017
30,004 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I'm pretty much of the same opinion, Hele. I was amused at first and he does have a witty turn of phrase at times, but it felt like being beaten up by the book by the end.

About This Thread

Maintained by Night-owl
The plan to read a book that was first published from each year of your life.
Doesn't matter how long it takes.

some websites for ideas

Fantastic Fiction
fantasticfiction.com

Good Reads
goodreads.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.