Over 50's club

1 lurker | 320 watchers
26 Apr
9:59am, 26 Apr 2024
3,213 posts
  •  
Flatlander
No "well man" check up here.

I did have a PSA test quite a few years ago which was normal. However, 7 years ago I had a ureteroscopy to remove a kidney stone and it was noted that I had "a moderately enlarged prostate". When I asked the consultant about that he said it was nothing to worry about. However, since the consultant did other things to me during the procedure which were not advisable in someone with my autoimmune disease, perhaps I should ask for another PSA test sometime.

For my autoimmune disease I am supposed to have yearly reviews and check ups, but Rheumatology have given me only one in the last 3 1/2 years, presumably due to the NHS backlogs, so hopefully I might get one this autumn.
26 Apr
10:12am, 26 Apr 2024
10,926 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I had a PSA test and a “digital” check last year as had some issues peeing at night.
The conclusion was that I have an enlarged prostate (I’m 67 so nothing unusual there).
I’ve been prescribed meds which have improved things.
27 Apr
10:40am, 27 Apr 2024
6,530 posts
  •  
jelly
I had a well woman check up shortly after my first 10 mile race! They said I had kidney damage and wanted to put me on statins! I had blood test after blood test! I had my kidneys scanned…. The radiographer asked why I was there, my kidneys were fine! It’s the bloody test and the stupid algorithm. I stumbled upon a dr in Norwich in a running group who told me to go vegetarian for 4 days before a blood test and my numbers all went back to normal! Drs normally tell you no red meat for 2 days, or they did back then!
27 Apr
10:56am, 27 Apr 2024
10,928 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
That’s interesting. I’ve never heard of avoiding red meat before a blood test.
I’ve just read that eating red meat can cause an increase in creatinine levels which is a main marker for kidney problems.
I guess that in my case it was a trend that led to further investigation and then biopsy to confirm kidney disease.
27 Apr
11:34am, 27 Apr 2024
68,716 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've never told anyone to avoid red meat before a blood test. I did warn people that creatine supplementation might cause an artificially high serum creatinine and unnecessary kidney anxiety.
27 Apr
11:38am, 27 Apr 2024
42,736 posts
  •  
Nellers
Seems weird, given the proportion of Carnies to Veggies in the population, that they have the levels set where they can be impacted to that degree by eating meat in the days before the test. You'd think that most people would have adverse findings if that's the main cause.
27 Apr
1:26pm, 27 Apr 2024
75,355 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I eat very little red meat anyway. Chicken or salmon mostly for me.
27 Apr
2:14pm, 27 Apr 2024
3,215 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Like Lip Gloss, it's mostly chicken and salmon for me.

I have CKD2 which my GP tells me is usual in people of my age and is of no concern. If I had CKD3 (or more concerningly, CKD4), that would need looking at and monitoring.
28 Apr
3:25pm, 28 Apr 2024
6,531 posts
  •  
jelly
I believe my numbers were 3 or 4!

I’ve recently had a friend who had the same test and I told her to go veggie and her numbers came back down!
28 Apr
3:34pm, 28 Apr 2024
6,532 posts
  •  
jelly
It concerns me that some people will just accept these test results and go on statins!

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.