Long run fuelling options

11 watchers
Nov 2013
9:09am, 4 Nov 2013
579 posts
  •  
Fitz
Blimey, some people seem to be carting around a picnic hamper with them! ;-)

I used to use Clif shot blox or PowerBar gels on long runs. This year I have been training myself to survive LSRs (up to 20 miles) with nothing but water, my theory being:

1) if I can do the appropriate distance & pace without supplements, when I take them during a mara it will be like turbo-charging!
2) if I can train my body to use up stored energy rather than quick fixes, that should help me lose a few pounds of spare tyre.

If I really run out of energy on an LSR, my usual solution is to dive into the nearest corner shop / newsagent for any or all of: jelly babies, flapjack, Lucozade Sport.

PowerBar gels are not too expensive if you buy in bulk - a box of 24 can be had for around £25 delivered, from Amazon, Evans Cycles, Harris Active Sports, etc...
Nov 2013
9:10am, 4 Nov 2013
83 posts
  •  
Non-runner
I used to run quite a few LDWA events and found a lump of marzipan quite helpful - although I understand that marzipan is a bit of a marmite issue.
Nov 2013
9:16am, 4 Nov 2013
7,472 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
It depends if you want to stop and eat or eat on the run and carry on. Anything that involves much chewing will be impossible if you want to carry on running. If you want to carry on running it will be gels or sweets that you can tuck into your cheek and allow to dissolve. But remember that long runs are meant to be race practice, so do what you are going to do in your race.
Nov 2013
9:46am, 4 Nov 2013
4,001 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I take nothing for less than 10 miles, past that I take one gel. Only do one long run a week so one gel every seven days doesn't work out too pricey.

Only run up to 14 miles though. Not sure what I'll do past that as I assume I need to take water and dislike carrying a bottle around.
Nov 2013
9:47am, 4 Nov 2013
1,549 posts
  •  
Drell
I'm in the no fuel brigade too, but I only go up to 14 miles or so. If it's hot, I take water.
Nov 2013
10:02am, 4 Nov 2013
27,965 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Being able to run for two or three hours with nothing to eat (or drink, sometimes) is a useful skill to aspire to and train yourself for, but it can take time to adapt and it's not necessarily helpful advice for someone training for their first marathon. I've run marathons on a swig of water and a couple of Werther's Originals, but I'd got a couple of years of training under my belt before I stopped carrying enough money to cover the cost of popping into a shop and buying a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate on any run longer than about seven miles, or to pay for a taxi home.

And that may also be an option - put a coin or two in your pocket and plan to stop and buy something to eat and drink part way round :)
Nov 2013
10:05am, 4 Nov 2013
17,989 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I wouldn't bother for anything under about two hours, but for longer runs I find Shot Bloks more manageable than gels.

I have also been known to carry Jaffa Cakes or banana Soreen, on very long runs only.
Nov 2013
10:05am, 4 Nov 2013
13,583 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If you're buying the gels individually, you could save money by buying a box of them.
Nov 2013
10:10am, 4 Nov 2013
3,095 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Wiggle has a box of 24 High5 gels for £11.88. That's less than 50p per gel, even less if use Quidco for your Wiggle shop.
Nov 2013
10:15am, 4 Nov 2013
7,935 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I forgot bread and dripping :-(

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
I've got some gels, and they work fine, but they're expensive if you're going to be using a few e...