Long Runs

18 watchers
Feb 2019
12:29pm, 27 Feb 2019
2 posts
  •  
JogWalker
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of moving up from a regular 5K runner to try a half marathon later in the year. Just starting on a training regime for this and so new to a 'long run'. The article says "A minute slower than marathon pace is plenty fast enough" - so how do I calculate what my marathon pace might be? An a minute slower than what - a minute per mile?

Thanks in advance.
Feb 2019
12:34pm, 27 Feb 2019
6,823 posts
  •  
larkim
Easiest way to approximate is to use the Fetch standards - read across from your current 5k pace and that will give an estimated marathon time, and you can calculate your MP+1 minute from there. Err on the side of slowness though - in recognition of the fact that the fetch standards are a little optimistic for marathons, and that slower is better than faster for long running (generally).

So for example, 25m30 for 5k translates to 4h00m00 - which is 9m10s marathon pace. So MP+1minue would be 10m10s, but somewhere in the region of 10m30-11m00 per mile would be perfectly sensible long run paces.

Fetch race standards - fetcheveryone.com/race-standards.php
Mar 2019
8:28am, 5 Mar 2019
3 posts
  •  
JogWalker
Many thanks @larkim
Jan 2020
9:50pm, 20 Jan 2020
77 posts
  •  
smallclanger
Thanks for the advice!
I’m just starting in the world of longer runs after a long time ago n it’s made me think a bit today when I headed out

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
There's some long run advice in this week's podcast (Episode 5, out now) - but we thought ...