Long Runs

18 watchers
Feb 2019
4:32pm, 6 Feb 2019
3,752 posts
  •  
jdarun
Good podcasts (to taste), good scenery (easy round here in godzone). Don't have a problem with them "hanging over me" at the weekend, I look forward to the Sunday morning run. Quite meditative really. Sometimes just a steady long run, sometimes with a structure. The only ones I don't really like are the long marathon pace tests, cos they are big and scary.

Actually I particularly like the 20 milers as they take me through a lovely bit of wetland where I can hope to see some interesting birdlife.

I generally take a bit of food and drink and a lightweight windproof jacket + hat and gloves which go on and off depending on climate and effort levels.
Feb 2019
4:37pm, 6 Feb 2019
6,705 posts
  •  
larkim
LOL, show's what I know about fat burning!!!

Ah well, at least I can point to not intentionally be fat adapted! I'd also say that I still don't run quite in the range that others do in terms of LSRs, MP+60s is about as slow as I ever fancy going on the road.
Feb 2019
10:32pm, 10 Feb 2019
284 posts
  •  
roberton
Saturday morning I planned to do a long run ending in parkrun. Didn't happen: combination of not getting up early enough to do it all and then general directionless meant that at 8:45 I was nowhere near the parkrun start!

Somewhat inspired by this thread, at least subconsciously, I decided to just keep plodding around even though I didn't have any food or drink with me. 16 miles is easily the furthest I've ever run without any provisions so very pleased with that :-)
Feb 2019
7:04am, 11 Feb 2019
26,599 posts
  •  
DocMoye
I did 16 miles ( 10 through mud) yesterday. I remembered to take a gel with me but didn't use it or feel I needed it.
Feb 2019
7:23am, 11 Feb 2019
21,202 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
One thing I hadn’t considered until I did my Abingdon long runs was my recovery time. With little or no fuel or water, I reached the point where I was making it home, but a bit wiped out. Including fuel and water on the run left me feeling more capable post-run. An important consideration for maintaining a happy run-life balance :-)
Feb 2019
7:09am, 12 Feb 2019
1,358 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
A decade ago I was a slave to gels and sports drink. Fuelling during every long run.

After a decade of weaning myself of the gels and sports drink, for up to 20 miles I don't eat or drink, and it has zero effect. Also I don't eat or drink before going for the run. I just get up, put my kit on and go.

Perhaps that's because I believe the S in LSR is significant. I think that it is important to run the lsr at least one minute per mile slower than MP, and probably nearer two.
Feb 2019
9:14am, 12 Feb 2019
26,616 posts
  •  
DocMoye
Good points Fetch .for me recovery this time round is so different from my first time marathon training. But then I'm not training to hit a target time which I was before. I don't feel I'm at the limit which I was last time ( Maybe I should be trying harder)
Feb 2019
9:26am, 12 Feb 2019
30,414 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've never thought about that fetch. I'm not sure eating on my run would aid my recovery though. Might do, I suppose, might be worth experimenting. I know I can be grumpy when I get in from a long run because I am *sooo* hungry! So might help home relationships I suppose!

I managed some MP (hoped for MP, I suppose) + 60s in second half of my 21ish mile long run. :-) G
Feb 2019
1:17pm, 12 Feb 2019
290 posts
  •  
roberton
20 miles completely fasted? Wow! 🤯
Feb 2019
9:12am, 13 Feb 2019
30,419 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
DavidFR, I agree with that for the LSR. Only exception would be if I'm trying to do an MP run (e.g. 14 with 8 at MP, or 16 with 10 at MP or longest I've done is 20 with 13 at MP) then I'll usually need to fuel for that and will usually drink a 500ml Lucozade before and have maybe one gel with me too.

However, an MP run is the exception of long runs, for me. 9 out of 10 long runs are slow, possibly hilly (for fun and extra effort) and like you I do them with no food. Like I say, I sometimes have an apple or a couple of mint sweets with me, but more for something to do than for fuel! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
There's some long run advice in this week's podcast (Episode 5, out now) - but we thought ...