The long run, run/walk strategy

1 watcher
Feb 2019
9:46pm, 28 Feb 2019
439 posts
  •  
Trin
I did a little piece on the Fetch podcast (I can't remember which number it was now but it went live on 11th Feb). I also blogged about on 17th February.

It's a system that was suggested to me about 14 years ago when I was training for the Kent 50 (which was actually a 52.4 double marathon).

Firstly you decide what average pace you want for the whole of your long run.
Then decide whether your actual running segments are going to be 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 miles.

So, say for instance you have a long run of 18 miles, you want an average pace for the whole run of 10 minute miles, and you're going to take in 3 mile chunks.

You would run to 3 miles, then walk to 30 minutes, run to 6 miles walk to 60 minutes, run to 9 miles walk to 90 minutes, and so on.

The run section should still be at a comfortable pace, which is easier to maintain because of the regular walk breaks.

If you find the walk breaks feel too long you could make the overall average pace a little quicker, maybe by 15 seconds per mile.

The maths during the long run keeps the brain occupied too 😉
Feb 2019
10:03pm, 28 Feb 2019
441 posts
  •  
Trin
Fitz, glad it worked well in the end. But yes, it does take some discipline to keep the running pace down. I tend to focus on the run sections, and then just take each walk break as recovery but I'm still walking quite quickly, usually between 13.45 - 14 Mon/mile pace
Feb 2019
10:14pm, 28 Feb 2019
13,375 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
This is an interesting variation on the run walk theme. I have used 8:1 as a ratio, but haven't done any maths based on a target pace overall. Might have to investigate!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I did a little piece on the Fetch podcast (I can't remember which number it was now but it went...