Long Runs

18 watchers
Feb 2019
9:13pm, 5 Feb 2019
276 posts
  •  
roberton
... is thinking how early he would need to get up on Saturday to do 15 miles before parkrun 🤔
Feb 2019
12:19pm, 6 Feb 2019
26,502 posts
  •  
DocMoye
i have quite a few races to use as long run practice....i like company and most of my running is lone running, so it works for me.
Can I ask regard to fuelling.....i dont fuel for less than half distance but need to consider it for longer runs. In my experience of half races ive been fine with SIS gels, they taste fairly disgusting, but do the job and are convenient to carry, but ive seen someone raving about Tailwind which ive never heard of. Does anyone have any experience?
Feb 2019
12:32pm, 6 Feb 2019
6,701 posts
  •  
larkim
On the "long run with a race included" it can be made to work even with paid for races, but you need to nail the race at the beginning and accept that the run home (if that's where the rest of the miles are going to) will be harder than a usual LR. My strongest ever PB is at a 10k which is 8 miles away. I got a lift there, ran to the point of throwing up on the finish line, and then jogged very slowly home. It is hard work, but if you've already built some endurance to cope with the total distance you ought to be able to manage the right level of slow run home. Though I wouldn't do it all the time.

I'm not in a position to comment on injury risk, though I have a sense that if you've really run a race hard you are at the very least warmed up for when you add the extra miles at the end. Equally, you might be full of lactic and stiffening up...

I reckon you could probably do the following combinations in a "paid for" race, limiting the LR distance up to 20 miles - as "warm up + PB-attempt-race + long run home" if you are able to complete other long runs adequately within your training.

3 easy + 5k + 10 easy home
2 easy + 10k + 8 easy home
2 easy + HM + 5 easy home

parkrun can be slotted in at any time on the basis that you can adjust the pace to be whatever you want - you're not likely to PB off a 10 mile run there, but you could do the first scenario above. But as there's no ££££ for the entrance fee, it doesn't matter.
Feb 2019
12:48pm, 6 Feb 2019
40,494 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Doc, I quite like Gu and Torq gels when cycling. Running up to marathon distance I carry a few sweets in my pocket, longer than marathon distance and it's officially an ultra and therefore fair game for a cup of tea and a pie during the race. I have no idea why my WAVAs plummet after marathon distance ;)

On long training runs I'd rather pop in at home and have a drink and a sandwich mid-run than carry stuff. When my children were small, rather than staying out for three hours or more at a time and leaving their other parent in sole charge of everything I'd do my long runs in chunks of four or five miles, pausing at home to heat up and serve lunch/sort out washing/deal with squabbles.
Feb 2019
12:53pm, 6 Feb 2019
4,925 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Tailwind is an [isotonic?] drink powder, much favoured by some in the ultra-distance and cycling community. The obvious drawback with it is that you have to carry a bottle/bottles and on a typical long run you won't be able to get as much carbohydrate in as you would (say) by carrying SiS gels. That might not be a problem if you do your training runs with a pack/bladder of course. I prefer Mountain Fuel myself, I've done some pretty tough/long events fuelled entirely by MF and jam butties.

tailwindnutrition.co.uk
Feb 2019
12:57pm, 6 Feb 2019
30,360 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've got to the stage of not drinking on a long run and just having an apple or a couple of mint sweets or something in a pocket.

Mind you, I was pretty staving by 2.30pm on Sunday having left the house at 8.30am, with only a banana and half a square of brownie (donated by _andy, thanks Andy!) in 19 miles and 2,000ft of climb in a blizzard! :-) G
Feb 2019
1:02pm, 6 Feb 2019
4,926 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Might I ask why?

19 miles and 2,000ft in a blizzard sounds very tough.
Feb 2019
1:03pm, 6 Feb 2019
6,702 posts
  •  
larkim
If the weather's cool and the pace is easy, I've done 2.5-3 hours without taking food or water onboard without any difficulty. I would mostly carry a gel or two "just in case", but rarely use them unless I'm trying to test out the gut (which so far hasn't caused me any issues).
Feb 2019
1:15pm, 6 Feb 2019
26,511 posts
  •  
DocMoye
think ill stick with my gels on the odd occasion i actually remember to take them!
( i can relate to the popping in home to sort out squabbles that v'rap mentions....that was my prep for my last marathon 6 years ago, so glad to have moved on!)
Feb 2019
1:25pm, 6 Feb 2019
30,364 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
NE - was that @me?!

Not intentional, I just don't feel thirsty. I had my bum bag with bladder in it, so was carrying a kg of water with me and could have drunk at any point. And my run was split by a return to the car, so could have drunk from any number of bottles in the car.

Food - I don't like to run with a full tum (and tend not to eat breakfasts anyway). And I know that on a slow run I don't "bonk" (i.e. run out of sugar) so don't *need* to eat. I usually have an apple or something with me more for something to do! And mint sweets to freshen the mouth a bit. That's a hangover from ultras, just a habit really.

Sorry, wasn't trying to say "ooh, I'm great, I don't eat or drink". It's just a by product of having done it for a while and what I'm used to. I don't think it helps me in any way in training or races. I take all the fuel I can during a target marathon. And water as I need it in a race.

Also, if I'm doing an MP pace specific section in a long run (not something I've done for a long time, as a far less able runner now!) then I would take a gel or two with me for that. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
There's some long run advice in this week's podcast (Episode 5, out now) - but we thought ...