Writing a will.

16 watchers
Sep 2022
6:57pm, 27 Sep 2022
6,706 posts
  •  
Fields
I’ve just asked my SIL to be executor, so had better get on with writing it this winter
Sep 2022
7:16pm, 27 Sep 2022
388 posts
  •  
whiteflash
How much do they cost approx?
Sep 2022
7:30pm, 27 Sep 2022
1,042 posts
  •  
Weath
May I suggest that if you wish to bequeath across a number of beneficiaries that include a charity that you carefully consider specifying in absolute ££££'s what the value that the charity is to get is.
I am aware of a number of instances where charities have stepped in legally to dispute estates / wills as they coud lose out on 'percentage' based' wills if worded incorrectly.

e.g
theguardian.com

barrettandco.co.uk

nelsonslaw.co.uk
jda
Sep 2022
7:32am, 28 Sep 2022
13,485 posts
  •  
jda
IME solicitors usually do wills for a modest fee, ours were maybe £150 (which could even be a pair). Obviously a bit of a loss-leader hoping to pick up more work in the future....

Weath's comment seems slightly misleading, in the first of those links it wasn't the charities that disputed the will, they just tried (and succeeded) in defending it against someone else seeking to overturn it. And the other two links are just vague waffle saying they can litigate if their interests are threatened. Well, of course that's true, just as it is for any other beneficiary.
Sep 2022
8:38am, 28 Sep 2022
2,509 posts
  •  
Mushroom
You're in time for 'Free Wills Month' in October:
freewillsmonth.org.uk

Some charities offer a will service, in consideration of you leaving them something in your will.

Money saving expert has a page on Wills - worth a look before committing to anything:
moneysavingexpert.com
Sep 2022
9:23am, 28 Sep 2022
831 posts
  •  
Shades
I made my will many years ago. Free with my bank, in return I had to have a 'financial review' which was not unpleasant, 30 minutes of my time and they didn't manage to sell me anything.

My mother got a will form from W H Smiths and had it witnessed by a couple of neighbours. When she died there were no queries or complications about the will, however, it was straightforward, one executor, one beneficiary.
Sep 2022
10:46am, 28 Sep 2022
46,496 posts
  •  
DocM
Some charities ( including hearing dogs) have free Will writing services so worth checking with your chosen charities before spending your money
um
Sep 2022
1:49pm, 28 Sep 2022
6,555 posts
  •  
um
A slightly different approach. And more selfish. If I was in the position of no dependants or close family who'd benefit, I'd be considering all those asset release options and really blowing it for a few years.
Then leave the rest to charity ...

But as jda says, wills are relatively cheap via solicitor, as (a) it's basically a template and you do the work to list your assets etc and (b) they see it as a presales pitch/investment for later.
Sep 2022
2:17pm, 28 Sep 2022
833 posts
  •  
Shades
um- I have thought about doing that, spend as much as I can of what I have. Meanwhile I need somewhere to live and it might be a little early to look at equity release.

When I had my financial review, the guy from the bank visibly paled when I said ideally I'd like to spend most , if not all, of what I had. 🤣
Sep 2022
4:33pm, 28 Sep 2022
1,044 posts
  •  
Weath
Weath's comment seems slightly misleading, in the first of those links it wasn't the charities that disputed the will, they just tried (and succeeded) in defending it against someone else seeking to overturn it. And the other two links are just vague waffle saying they can litigate if their interests are threatened. Well, of course that's true, just as it is for any other beneficiary.

The links were general examples to show that charities can be quite determined when involved in the outcome of an estate and to provide some link back to solicitors (reliable source?) acknowledging this potential scenario.

I could have given pointless anecdotal ramblings of personally knowing 2 instances where the involvement of the charities involved caused significant issue with the settling of the estate and resulted in considerable legal expense to other parties.

All I am doing is giving a point of consideration, caveat emptor-esque.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ally-C
We’ve no children, I’ve a sister who only has step children I’ve no real bond with or animosity tbf & my wife has a brother who had no kids.

Tbh, all of the above are fairly comfortable & we’d rather leave anything to charities than any distant claimants. There’s a decent chance we’d out live our siblings too.

Anyone been in the same boat? I’m thinking animal or hillwalking associated charities with any living relatives getting a token amount.

Even if we blow our pensio...