Writing a will.

16 watchers
Sep 2022
4:03pm, 30 Sep 2022
2,708 posts
  •  
cackleberry
What happens if all your beneficiaries die before you and you haven't specified a charity?
Where does your money/assests go? Does the state claim them? Do long lost non-specified relatives come out of the wood work?
Sep 2022
4:08pm, 30 Sep 2022
25,329 posts
  •  
Ness
Good question. I think it something I will need to double check but I think it goes to the state.
Sep 2022
4:11pm, 30 Sep 2022
17,513 posts
  •  
jennywren
Reasonable enquiries have to be made (notices in the local paper usually) but if no beneficiaries come forward the estate goes to the state.
Sep 2022
4:56pm, 30 Sep 2022
2,709 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Hmm, don't like the idea of that.
Will make sure there is a charity in there, just in case.

(Mind you, I plan on spending it all while I'm alive so there wont be much to squabble over!)
Oct 2022
3:02pm, 2 Oct 2022
477 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ
A long-lost relative of my husband died some years back, without a will. We'd never heard of her. We got contacted by one of those heir finder companies as he, along with his siblings, some cousins, and a couple of aunts were all sufficiently next of kin to inherit. I think the relative was something like the daughter of a great grand aunt, or something, can't remember the exact relationship, so they do go to some lengths to find who the money should rightfully belong to before the State picks up the money. And this was with only a relatively modest sum. Best bit about it from my point of view was it filled in a few missing people on OH's family tree (the company was perfectly happy to share their research with me).
Oct 2022
8:01am, 11 Oct 2022
23,352 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
That's interesting, LouiseRuns ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ
Oct 2022
4:49pm, 20 Oct 2022
2,621 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Had a lawyer & professional will writer round there, complicated business this.
Oct 2022
2:20pm, 21 Oct 2022
2,627 posts
  •  
Ally-C
5x20% percent, 3 charities & two relations, a legacy to the executor & a POA still to be decided. Even if you blow yer cash, the house is still worth something.

Although the last remaining one of us might have to go to a care home.
Oct 2022
2:26pm, 21 Oct 2022
9,110 posts
  •  
Dooogs
As per Mushroom's post on the last page, both employer assistance programmes and union membership often have free will-writing (I'd hope from legal professionals but haven't checked!) services available...
Oct 2022
2:37pm, 21 Oct 2022
2,628 posts
  •  
Ally-C
ยฃ120 for the will writing part, which is reasonable I think. The POA if we can decide on one is more expensive but comparable to what my mother paid for me to be hers.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ally-C
Weโ€™ve no children, Iโ€™ve a sister who only has step children Iโ€™ve no real bond with or animosity tbf & my wife has a brother who had no kids.

Tbh, all of the above are fairly comfortable & weโ€™d rather leave anything to charities than any distant claimants. Thereโ€™s a decent chance weโ€™d out live our siblings too.

Anyone been in the same boat? Iโ€™m thinking animal or hillwalking associated charities with any living relatives getting a token amount.

Even if we blow our pensio...